Join our zoo community

New Bristol zoo speculation

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Charles, 24 Jul 2022.

1. Charles

Charles Well-Known Member

Just wanted a thread to speculate the remaining species that Bristol zoo haven’t announced and what areas people think will be in stage 2&3 and what animals will be in them :)

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  2. Charles

Personally, these are the (stages) animals I predict in each phases and biomes (Bold are already there, underlined are confirmed, regular is speculative)

Phase 1 :
    Benoue National Park improved

Reticulated Giraffe, Ostrich, Plains Zebra, Eland, Red river hog (I think they will go back to their paddock in the giraffes, zebra and eland habitat)
    Black Rhinoceros
    Cheetah
    Village weavers, dik dik (new aviary within that area with existing animals[speculative])
    African Pygmy goats will move nearer to this area away from discover Madagascar

Central African Forest (I think they will announce that it will be called Monte Alén national park but that’s just me)

Gorilla, Cherry-crowned mangabey
    African Grey parrots
    Central African slender snouted crocodiles, rare species of west African fish

Okapi (Keepers have said they are coming back, it just isn’t official), Blue duiker
    Bongo or Mandrill (there is one enclosure in the plans which one of the 2 I believe will go in)
    Other bird species from Equatorial Guinea/Gabon (lots of areas in the plans where aviaries are but I don’t know what species are in captivity and in Europe)

Walled Garden/conservation breeding centre

(There is a long list, don’t think they’re will be any other announcements for that... for now)

Wild welcome/other areas (wild welcome has lots of area where small enclosures could be, possibly as temporary enclosures till phase 2/3 or for longer and discover Madagascar is set to add a few more species in various phases)
    Red Panda
    Blue eyed black lemurs (keepers confirmed it, just not official yet)
    Aye Aye, they already have them but they may go to wildplace in phase 1, definitely are in phase 2 (possibly the Malagasy giant jumping rats will go there too in a small nocturnal area [this section continues in phase 2])
    Livingston fruit bats (links to their conservation projects with the species
    Visayan Warty pigs (links to Philippines conservation but they might not move)
    Possibly the monkeys from monkey jungle and the sloths but unlikely

Phase 2 :
    Discover Madagascar, I think this will be renamed the Ankarafa field station and they will update it
    Ring tailed lemurs, Red bellied lemurs, Mongoose lemurs, Red ruffed Lemurs
    White belted ruffed lemurs, Blue eyed black lemurs
    Lac Alaotran gentle lemur
    (
    Possible Madagascar nocturnal house, Aye Aye, Malagasy giant jumping rat, tenrecs, Grey mouse lemur, Henkels leaf tailed gecko,)
    Radiated tortoise, Madagascan fish (some already at the zoo) a small Madagascar aviary (please suggest some that would be likely along with possible other lemur species [bearing in mind it is a small area at wildplace])

The Philippines (purely speculative but also likely to link to their conservation)

Red vented cockatoo (from the walled garden)
    Minandao+Negros bleeding heart doves (from the walled garden)
    Visayan tarictic hornbill (walled garden)

Philippine eagle (extremely unlikely but would be cool)
    Visayan Warty pigs (either the existing ones if they keep them or new ones)
    Philippine spotted deer
    Crab eating macaque
    Asian small clawed otter and or Bintarong
    (Reptiles fish and amphibians too I just don’t know which ones are in captivity already)

Phase 3 (largely a rewinding of the upper areas of wildplace but I think they would add one final area

Costa Rica swamps

(Speculative but the already have these species at Bristol [I know some of these aren’t specifically from Costa Rica but similarly to Benoue National park, I think they match with animals in that area) Linnes 2 toed sloth, brown spider monkey, black and gold howler monkey, common squirrel monkey
    Either Jaguar or West Indian Manatee (most likely Jaguar)
    Baird’s tapir, agouti, giant anteater
    Yellow naped parrot
    Great green macaw
    Orange fronted parrot
    Roseate spoonbill along with other wetland birds
    Toco toucan

the reason why I haven’t done areas linking to other conservation projects is because I don’t think they are as bio diverse and I believe the zoo want to both conserve animals but also draw people in with big animals, I have been pretty ambitious and some animals I don’t know if they are in European zoos or even captivity but would like to hear everyone else suggestions and speculative designs for bristol

3. Zoo2022

Zoo2022 Well-Known Member

This needs to be moved from the UK forum to 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning'

StoppableSan, TinoPup and nczoofan like this.
  4. Charles

It’s relevant to a UK zoo, Bristol zoo as well as speculative zoo design and planning, I do not see what the big issue is with it being here

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The issue is that most of it isn't remotely rooted in reality - the Philippine eagles in particular (simply not going to happen) but also the Baird's tapirs among others. I think it is also important to remember that Bristol has financial troubles (the reason they closed, as you know) so I doubt the majority of these developments are fiscally possible let alone likely, though I would love to be proven wrong.

But the fact remains, this is entirely speculative.

Birdsage, Gil, nczoofan and 1 other person like this.
  6. Charles

I live in Bristol, and I know that the money they will get from the Clifton site will be more than enough to fund the majority of this, it’s in the most expensive part of Bristol, they aren’t in good financial shape right now but given a few years they will be stable again, but this is not about criticising Bristol it’s just about a bit of fun and think of what they could put there

7. Charles

This is purely speculative but I think is very likely, there are 2 blank habitats in the new planned Central African Forest area, the bigger one people have speculated to be for okapi but the smaller one I have been tossing and turning about whether it would be bongo or mandrill.

but the new conservation section of the wildplace website display that they are doing mandrill conservation alongside mangabey conservation, both the cherry crowned mangabey and mandrills would link to their conservation (what the zoo is trying to do) also in the plans they “accidentally” included an image of mandrills when they weren’t relevant

I’ve attached images to support this, hope this is helpful and wonder if anyone else has any updates

upload_2022-10-1_22-41-50.jpeg upload_2022-10-1_22-41-50.jpeg upload_2022-10-1_22-41-50.jpeg

Attached Files:

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. Charles

I know I’m speculating again, but the red pandas from Bristol zoo are confirmed to have moved to exmoor zoo, personally I do think they’re changing the plans, not extensively but the amount of homes they need to find for the animals is massive and seeing as the red pandas have moved it would be a bit weird to get new ones

personally I think the monkeys from the islands, the sloths and maybe the monkeys from monkey jungle will possibly go to wildplace, the birds from bristol all seem to be matching with the eco system theme and the rest are confirmed for the conservation breeding centre, I think having a “monkey jungle” type entry would not only be unique but exciting, I like red pandas but they don’t do a lot but it’s speculation

thoughts? And what do u think may be the entry exhibit if not red pandas

9. Charles

i know people don't like me speculating too much however i did notice today when i went on the future Bristol Zoo website they've removed their design proposals which in my opinion indicates that they are going to hopefully release the full application soon, i don't know if its just my mind going away with itself hoping for an update though

10. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is probably just me being me but I think it'd be cool as heck to establish elephants in some capacity.

Charles likes this.
  11. Charles

I would personally love that but I don’t think many zoos have new elephants nowadays as I know Noah’s ark had a lot of backlash against it, they would have the space as they own some fields behind the main bit at wildplace but it is quite unlikely unfortunately

12. Charles

upload_2022-11-25_22-57-7.jpeg
    I found this article just scrolling, I don’t know how reliable it is but it says that they are going to be having 76 species, at the moment I could only count around 30-40 that have been announced so hopefully there will be information soon as well as the future website saying that the building work will be “starting soon”

13. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

‘…bought’?

14. Charles

As in bought from Bristol zoo I think they mean

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

"bought for" is not the same as "brought to"...

As there is no link to the article I don't know how it is written though - I suspect it was written by someone unacquainted with proper English and they did indeed mean "brought to".

Last edited: 26 Nov 2022
    FBBird likes this.
  16. Charles

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Having read that, either English is the reporter's second language or the editor doesn't know how to use English. It was extremely poorly written, with quite a number of basic grammatical and phrasing errors.

Benosaurus likes this.
  18. Charles

I will say this here rather than on the wildplace thread, although the person who told me said a bird keeper told him, idk how concrete it it

but allegedly the walled garden is not allowed to change according to British heritage, meaning that they can’t change the inside for the conservation breeding centre, idk how to find if it is completely true I hope it’s not but this person is very good friends with a bird keeper at Bristol zoo/wildplace

any further news/information around this?

19. Charles

1:54 in it says around 70 species are moving there and although plans may have changed, this backs up the previously mentioned articles’ estimation