Join our zoo community

New Camera just for Zoos!

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Arizona Docent, 1 Apr 2016.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pentax is releasing the first SLR camera made specifically for zoo photography. This is really exciting - I think I will have to pick one up. Here is the press release:

April 1, 2016
    For Immediate Release

Ricoh Imaging is pleased to announce the newest addition to our Pentax lineup of SLR cameras: the K50 Zoo Edition. Recognizing the enduring popularity of zoos, we are introducing a new version of our popular K50 to enhance the zoo visitor's experience. Scene modes that were underutilized, such as party mode and snow mode, have been replaced with a new host of modes for use in zoos and aquariums. The new scene modes are:

TIGER – Searches for the facial features of a big cat and locks focus on the face. Works with all big cats including tigers, lions, leopards.

BIF – Birds In Flight is a great mode to switch to inside the aviary. The camera will automatically fire whenever a bird flies through the frame.

FENCE – Advanced algorithms detect fence lines and utilize in-camera software to remove them. This is an exciting, industry-leading technology.

AQUARIUM – Camera will automatically reduce the number of megapixels to produce a cleaner low light image in the subdued light of an aquarium.

The K50 Zoo Edition will retail for 649 US dollars in either black or silver. Photographers who are proud of their love for zoos can order a limited edition tiger stripe body for 1299 US dollars (limited run of 500 – order early).

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Sadly, I think the date would tend to discredit this bit of news :p much as I wish there *was* an option to automatically avoid focusing on fence lines and mesh!

That said, your lack of sourcing suggests this is a prank on your part rather than their part - in which case well written ;)

3. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As much as I would love for this to happen, I didn't get fooled this year:D

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I just don't get why everyone is doing April Fools jokes on the 2nd of April.

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would I do that? :D

6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

It's because they're all a bit slower than us.

:p

Hix