Join our zoo community

Cedars Nature Centre New Collection- Cedars Nature Centre

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by stubeanz, 20 Sep 2016.

1. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited today and was lucky enough to meet Stu and Nick, two passionate guys working tirelessly to ensure their community zoo is a roaring success. The main draw for me was to see Ziggy the zorilla. Luckily for me (and Lynsey), Stu was very accommodating so I managed to get a couple of snaps and video the shy but amazing animal. The photos have been uploaded in the gallery.

They have great plans for such a small place, I hope they all come to fruition. Will definitely be back for a visit soon!

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Feel free to post your video, too :)

3. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

It was great to meet you both yesterday!
    Sorry I couldn't chat longer but I'm glad you could meet Ziggy even if he was not in the best of moods haha

4. stubeanz

Oh I should also say that two weeks ago we had our first birth since moving the animals over to CNC.
    2 lesser hedgehog tenrecs which are current,y doing very well indeed.

Brum likes this.
  5. migdog

Your wish is my command! :)

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I have no shame whatsoever in admitting I am pretty damn jealous :p although with a little luck I *might* see him at the end of this month myself, as I intend to visit the collection just after my birthday.

migdog likes this.
  7. migdog

8. thunder_monkey

thunder_monkey Active Member 10+ year member

Visited last weekend and was lucky enough to have Stuart show us Ziggy the zorilla and spend his valuable time showing us around the future works and chatting about the animals. The skunks were very active and seemed to be enjoying their enrichment. The plans for the future sounds great and we'll definitely be back.
    We both took photos and I took some video of Ziggy, will upload once they've been processed.
    If you're in the area, a visit is highly recommended.

migdog likes this.
  9. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi there.Popped in for a few minutes visit today.Understandably it's a tiny space as you are just starting out but you are doing a great job and there's full of potential for this little nook of a nature centre in a park full of royal history.Really wish you all the best and hope to pop back in when the little tropical house is up and running. And hope you get your wish over the years for the butterfly house.

10. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cedars have announced on Facebook that they now hold a Virginia Opossum called Oswald.

pipaluk likes this.
  11. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Hi guys. I made a visit to Cedars yesterday and had a great time. Although it's a small collection, it is growing, and the staff and volunteers are thoroughly cooperative in helping me get as good a view as I could.

Highlights include: Ziggy the male zorilla, Oswald the Virginia opossum, the three very active striped skunks, and a tired-looking lesser hedgehog tenrec (the greater hedgehog tenrec was uncooperative!).

Highly recommend a visit to all Zoochatters! It's free (donations encouraged) and not far from other collections such as Paradise Wildlife Park and Ventura, which can all be combined in a day quite easily.

Can't wait to see what other oddities come to Cedars!

pipaluk and Brum like this.
  12. migdog

Cedars have just announced that they have a partner for Ziggy the Zorrilla - her name is Stardust! They have been seen mating so fingers crossed for little Zorilla babies :)

13. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

If they don't call a baby David, there is no justice !!

amur leopard, TNT, Mo Hassan and 2 others like this.
  14. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Seconded! ;)

15. stubeanz

Hi Everyone,
    I just thought I'd pop back to zoochat (life's so busy I don't visit as regularly as I once did!).
    Its great to have met some of you zoochatters at CNC, if anyone visits send me a message through facebook (Cedars Nature Centre) before hand as I enjoy chatting zoos and meeting up if I can!

Yes, Stardust the zorilla has settled well and we really hope we can breed this species, I'm not sure when this species was last bred in a UK zoo, privately there are a few around but I wish more zoos kept this unusual species.

We will be finishing our native species butterfly house this year. We are possibly only the 2nd UK zoo to house a native butterfly house and so it is a learning curve tbh!

We have a few new species planned this year but mainly upgrading various enclosures for the species we currently keep.

The latest species we have added are a pair of Rankins dragon (Pogona henrylawsoni), they are great characters and we hope to breed them this year as well.

I'm always happy to answer any questions if you have any as well.

Thanks,
    Stuart

16. Mo Hassan

Great to hear all that Stuart! We'll be back to see Stardust and the dragons next time I'm visiting the area.

17. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

A few things I have spotted on their Facebook page recently.

- Today they have announced a second 3 banded armadillo has been born in 2019
    - Entrance is no longer free - but at £2 per adult / £1 per child it is still very reasonable.
    - They now have annual membership passes for £20 per adult.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jun 2019
  18. Mo Hassan

Visited Cedars this afternoon, and got great views of Digger the female six-banded armadillo and Dobby the southern three-banded armadillo. Digger is being sent on loan to a collection in Northern Ireland for potential breeding.

New this year is the British butterfly exhibit, although it currently only contains painted ladies and small tortoiseshells - previously there were also red admirals and emperor moths.

Kifaru Bwana and DesertRhino150 like this.
  19. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5 new volunteering positions will be opening in the next few weeks. Facebook post here:
    Security Check Required

20. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A pair of Brazilian cavy arrived several months ago and have been living in the parakeet aviary; the announcement has been held off because they have been very secretive. Just before Christmas, the female gave birth to two pups.

Information comes from the Cedars Wildlife Centre Facebook page.

Mo Hassan, pipaluk, TNT and 1 other person like this.