Join our zoo community

New collection

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by andrewsion, 19 May 2015.

1. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

2. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

May also be helpful to join the Facebook group "zoo enclosure design"
    The members on there are very helpful.

3. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wehave a garden centre near us called Van Hagues which is a garden centre but has a animal area attached to it. They have a few exotics Meerkats,Racoons,Coati Mundi, Common Marmosets,barn Owls, but the rest are domesticated in some form or another. They also have a Zoo licence and sound similar to yours perhaps give them a call.
    As for adding other animals I would of thought you might start to get a few donations etc or make an enquiry to your local zoo that you can take some smaller species if needed.
    I would of thought if you had a pair of meerkats and when they acheive adulthood they will start to breed and you will have your mob.

4. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

I'd suggest having some exotic pets (rodents and such) They can be popular.

~ Thaumatibis

5. andrewsion

andrewsion Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. It will really help and I will look into each of your suggestions. Can anyone suggest any types of animals they think would work wel for a small zoo. Thanks

6. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well I have found this thread to be interesting. First off: Best of luck!
    Second: Some small zoo species can include birds(as Macaw16 said), maybe some (exotic) fish, peacock(if this is outside), chinchilla, reptiles, cool amphibians, cavy's... The list could go on and on as long as you have the funds and the proper holdings. I probably speak for (almost) everyone on zoochat, but again, best of luck to you.

7. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

I would personally look at some species you are interested in and then go get some experience in other collections (only has to be a day thing) that way you will get a feel for it all and have species you personally are interested in.

8. Lemurs

Lemurs Well-Known Member

Meerkats aren't an area of expertise but shouldn't 6 week old babies still be with their mothers?

9. andrewsion

andrewsion Member

Hi lemurs. Our both meerkats have been removed from mother due to the fighting going on and the babies having nip marks. they have been fuly weaned and are kept in smaller indoor enclosuers untill a couple of weeks when we will release them into their new outdoor enclosure. I do belive that 6 weeks is not to young to take from mother as these animals are weaned and ready after 5 to 6 weeks but we done this as a precaution rather than any other reason

10. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A lot of the guys over at Reptile Forums - HomePage keep both species that you have and could have some great advice as far as the enclosures.
    Some even have zoo licences.