Join our zoo community

New Conservation Being set up in Ireland

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by jayk19, 30 Jan 2013.

Tags:
  1. jayk19

jayk19 Member

Cheetah Conservation Fund Ireland

Tell me what everyone thinks,

will boost abit of tourism to the south-east with also helping the big cats

Help spread the word :D

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

So this sounds interesting, if a little bit like a scam - the website provides very little information, with no concrete goals nor official accreditation from whatever organisation oversees charities in Ireland, but does have a donate money link. And the imperfect English isn't doing it any favours either.

Are you directly involved in this organisation, or have you just heard about it?

If you are involved: What are the organisation's actual specific aims? Where will you get cheetahs, or other big cats, from? And what will your set up be - a zoo or closed breeding facility? And how realistic is this - do you have suitable land available already or any big cat keeping knowledge?

3. European Fauna

European Fauna Well-Known Member

My first reaction was that this must be a scam. If they are genuine, they have not done a good job explaining themselves and need to go into FAR greater detail.

4. jayk19

jayk19 Member

By Far this is not a scam at all im involved its only a recent set up charity !
    everyone in it are fully experienced
    im currently on my diploma for animal management and worked and gained experience in zoos for few years!
    I hate to think that peoples first reaction think it's a scam after all the work but in it !
    plus they had a bank meeting today with bank of ireland to get the account set up for donations by far as i know its more of like a mini public cheetah /other cats organisation that will give out the awareness by having public displays of the animals at the center and most of its donations will go to either CCF or other centers working with endangered animals that are releasing them into the wild !
    by far thats what i know !
    this charity had to change alot and still needs alot of change! and a clear goal for people to understand that this isn't a scam we need more work on it!
    i need peoples view!

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

New Conservation Being...

Sounds like a scam to me

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If this is legit then great for you guys and good job and if so then you need a lot more information and some things put in there to prove it isn't a scam.

If it is a scam just to make money then shame on you using innocent and endangered species as your money making toy!

~Thylo:cool:

7. jayk19

jayk19 Member

That is never the case Thylo !

i don't need to make money to be honest !
    It's horrible for people online just to say ooo its a scam but they wont say it to your face plus on the other side of things they don't know how much work and our own money we are putting in to make this happen in the backround!

at the moment though (before i posted this up on forums) they are BIG changes being made to this and at the moment looking into building a conservation center is silly no matter how much experience we have,
    for now we are going to be a fundraising group for some of the most endangered cat conservations around the globe ! which we will have all the links of all those on our site. (have to get in contact with those also) plus that means to change the name of our set-up #moreofmypersonalfares and also be looking into setting up an awareness center ! have a caracal and ocelot visit schools demonstrating's into getting more donations to be spread out across different conservations ...

some questions i might get now is
    How do we know the donations are going there ?
    all you gotta do is ask ! plus on our facebook page we will tag their name to our post saying we have donated "such and such" to this conversation so they know its true,
    i for the other hand have to get more open with this then private
    and hopefully it will kick off! :)
    J

8. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

The website says 'Check back real soon' so I have no idea what you guys are talking about!

9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wasn't saying it is a scam I'm just commenting on both sides. I want to believe you're telling us the truth but you never know these days and they site needs more information to prove that our money is really going to a good cause. No one wants to find out they've been scammed so we're just trying to prove what we hope is true.

~Thylo:cool:

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

same.

I had a brief look at their Facebook which has been going a wee while, but it's mostly just links to news stories about cats.

So I still have no clue.

11. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Well its changed since this morning then! It was a single page, only linked to a donation page and maybe social media, with a couple of cheetah photos and some text about fundraising for cheetahs and building "a conservation".

12. jayk19

jayk19 Member

there was alot more on our website before that again we had several pages explaining what we were doing but now we have had alot of changes,
    which i dont know if im allowed to say yet much more!

but they are in the process of changing the whole lot of their plan
    as things dont always go to plan!
    and this one those make a hell alot more sense then what we previously had in mind LOL! :D

13. nanoboy

When I was a teenager, me and the boys from the street went Christmas carolling. Everyone who gave us money assumed it was for a good cause, but we just used the money to buy stuff for ourselves, like food, which technically was a good cause! :D

14. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are you affiliated with Laurie Marker's Cheetah Conservation Fund, because if you aren't then you are illegally trading on the name of an authentic conservation organization and you will likely be shut down by them.

15. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I think scam is the wrong word. We have had a lot of kids come on this site trying to promote their own personal fantasy zoo. With out a product or any real sense of purpose, most of us will group you in the same category.

16. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sounds very suspicious to me. If you are legitimate, I apologize, but you need to at least understand why we are suspicious. If you are legitimate, you need to make some changes.

First, your post says you are called Cheetah Conservation Fund Ireland, but your website says you are called Wildcatz.

Second, there is NO solid information at all about the organization. No names of directors or staff, no physical address, nothing. I am not even sure if it will be a center with live cats or just an office for sending out money to various causes.

Third, for someone who is based in an English speaking country, your English is not very good.

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm also a bit confused that their website has apparently changed three times in the last nine hours!! As jbnbsn99 suggested, it really does come across as some enthusiastic kid rather than an actual organisation. The several name changes certainly don't help either.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2013
  18. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Are you setting up a breeding centre/ zoo? where in Ireland? where will the cats come from? are you affiliated with any organisations? Have you got a site yet?

19. nanoboy

No to all of the above.

20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well I don't know if its just me,but it appears that the web-page can no longer be found,which I think says it all!!!