Join our zoo community

Jászberény Zoo New EAZA Member Zoo in Hungary

Discussion in 'Hungary' started by Orycteropus, 5 Jul 2009.

1. Orycteropus

Orycteropus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As a result of the latest EAZA Council Meeting (17th May 2009) Jaszbereny Zoo has already been a member of the Association (Full Membership).

Anyway, if you are in Hungary, I highly recommend to visit this small collection. You will not see unique species, but because of the feeding enrichment program it is really worth a visit.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2009
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I always enjoy your reviews of Hungarian and Central-Eastern European zoos. Perhaps it would be nice if you could give us some idea of the species on display and the type and quality of exhibits for this small zoo too?

3. Orycteropus

Orycteropus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Two Dusky pademelons arrived in January:):):)!!!
    I MUST TO VISIT JÁSZBERÉNY ZOO!!!
    Other rarities: fishing cat, pygmy slow loris, spotted hyena, giant anteater

Last edited: 5 Aug 2020
    Kifaru Bwana and Jungle Man like this.
  5. HungarianBison

I visited Jászberény Zoo today. It was my 16th zoo.
    The zoo lies on the edge of Jászberény, an agricultural-industrial town with 20 thousand inhabitants, nearby the Zagyva River. Jászberény Zoo covers 5.5 hectares (14 acres), keeps around 100 species. Rarities: Dusky pademelon(no-show:(), Fishing cat, Naked mole-rat, Pygmy slow loris(off-show), Spotted hyena.
    Next part will be about my personal visit and impressions.

6. HungarianBison

Not too hard to get to the zoo if you use public transport. I travelled from Budapest with a long-distance bus. After getting off a 15-minute walk waits for you. The outer fence of the zoo is painted with animals, by children. The zoo is a botanical garden, too. Enclosures are well-enriched and good in size, expect camels' and alpacas'. Most of them are bordered with wires, so it's hard to take photos. Except rarities that were mentioned above, they only have common animals.
    Jászberény Zoo worth a visit, I recommend it to everyone. I took some photos that I'll upload to the gallery tomorrow.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2021
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.