Join our zoo community

Zoo Basel New enclosure for the elephants of Basel Zoo

Discussion in 'Switzerland' started by kiang, 12 Apr 2013.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Lifted from the zoo's website;

Construction work on the new elephant enclosure will begin in August. It will cover around 5000 square metres, making it more than double the size of its predecessor. The enclosure consists of various partial outdoor enclosures and a new elephant house. Wallowing, bathing, showering and activity opportunities will make the elephants’ daily lives truly exciting. Some of the funding for this 28-million-franc project is already in place, with the remaining ten million being sought through donations. The enclosure is scheduled to open in the autumn of 2016. As well as elephants, the zoo plans to house guinea fowl, white storks, harvester ants and Norway rats.

Zoo Basel

2. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If it looks like the artists impressions then it should be great, I didn't think the elephants liked their exhibit when I visited

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Norway rats? Yuck. I wonder what the thinking is there about why they are building a exhibit for them? Maybe they are building an exhibit about animal intelligence and sociality?

4. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. It wouldn't surprise me if that is the case as it has been the trend with Basel to organise exhibits in such a way, something I find very interesting.

The designs look good and I like the incorporation of the storks. The illustrations are actually beautifully done.