Join our zoo community

New England Zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by TinoPup, 29 Apr 2019.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm hoping to do a trip up to New England this summer. I know there's a few threads on the zoos themselves, but I didn't see any mention of this topic - which places can safely be combined in one day? I'd be driving from Delaware, so will probably hit Newport Aquarium on my way up and Beardsley on my way back. I would be staying with a relative in Providence, RI. My intention is to visit as many as possible, but I'd like to save some driving in between and combine what I can.

2. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Stone Zoo, Buttonwood Park Zoo, and Capron Park Zoo (all in Massachusetts) are all good zoos with some choice species and exhibits. @Neil chace is from there, so he can help with this.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. BostonHusky

BostonHusky New Member

I’m new to the forum and have slightly different needs than some with a 5 and 7 year old, but I’ve lived in CT and Boston most of my life. I’ve visited roger Williams in RI; Capron, Southwicks, Buttonwood, and Franklin Park(Boston) in MA and York Wild Kingdom in ME. I have never been to Beardsley or Stone unfortunately. Roger Williams is my favorite. You could visit Buttonwood and Capron on the same day easily. If you’re checking out aquariums, I prefer mystic aquarium slightly over the New England Aquarium(Boston) and you could check out mystic seaport as part of your trip - but either could be day trips from providence. If you did head north past Boston, I don’t specifically recommend York’s zoo but Portsmouth NH is a great little city to visit.

4. Birdlover

Birdlover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You probably could do Franklin Park and Stone in one day. Franklin Park has quite a few species that they are the only zoo in New England that has them. Roger Williams and/or Capron, Buttonwood can be done in the same day and possibly all 3. Southwick's could also be combined with Capron.
    Hope this helps.

StoppableSan likes this.