Join our zoo community

SeaWorld San Diego New exhibit for 2011

Discussion in 'United States' started by sandiegomaster, 2 Nov 2010.

1. sandiegomaster

sandiegomaster Well-Known Member

Welcome to Facebook

According to the Sea World SD facebook page, a new attraction will be opening next year and will be announced this Friday. There is a picture of the new exhibit as a clue along with this quote

"We’re almost ready to announce our new attraction for next year. This week we’ll be giving hints to what that new attraction will be! We’ve also partnered with the San Diego CBS affiliate (KFMB-TV) that will also be giving daily hints during its mid-day news at 11 a.m. We will announce the new attraction this Friday on... KFMB-TV News 8. Here’s your Day 1 hint – when the park first opened in 1964, we had several dolphins and sea lions in our animal family. The new attraction in 2011 will also include "flippered" species. We invite you to start guessing, but right or wrong, we will hold off until Friday to make the "official" announcement. Game On!!"

It looks like a turtle but that seems to obvious, anybody else have a clue?

2. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Being a marine mammal fan, I'm hoping for Southern Elephant Seals, but that would be a distant fantasy; as they cannot obtain them any longer unless in the shape of rehabs that cannot be returned to the sea. Oh well, it rarely hurts to dream ... :)

3. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Would sea turtles, with all due respect for their elegance and need for conservation, be a major attraction. Hardly. Manatees? Possibly.

4. polar bear

polar bear Well-Known Member

They currently have several sea turtles on exhibit (at Shipwreck Rapids and in one of the aquariums) which had babies a couple of years ago. Also, they just closed their manatee exhibit this year.

5. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A little birdy tells me think chelonian......

6. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yeah, I've heard rumors of a sea-turtle focused exhibit replacing the Manatee exhibit.

7. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

They better add to their crowd control team then.

My view is not just shaped by that I'm mammal oriented but also that marketing was the backbone of my education. Naming sealions and dolphins in the spoiler (both are crowd pleasers) as they do above, but then present sea turtles (which people like but are not excited by) would be the same as advertising steaks but serving hamburgers.

8. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't worry, the Sea World marketing machine will "spice up" the likeable but dull turtles with a cartoon avatar to appeal to tweens. it will be--typically for Sea World--not particularly tasteful but probably very popular (like the named dolphins and whales etc.).

9. sandiegomaster

Todays clue

"OK, well it seems like our Fans are almost unanimous in guessing that our new attraction for next year will be a blue whale exhibit. Yes, blue whales have flippers, but I’m not sure it is even remotely realistic to have a blue whale exhibit at the park. However, blue whales migrate and so do the animals that will be ...the focal point of our 2011 new attraction. So, with that, I’ll let you all guess again!!"

there is a picture as well.

I personally would love to see a narwhal or a dugong. My wife wants a platypus but obviously it is not that.

10. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Aren't they breeding Pilot Whales and have not kept them on serious exhibit, apart from one being a side-kick in the dolphin show (which I saw and fondly remember back in 2003)? Could that be it, that the Pilot Whales are getting a proper exhibit?

11. sandiegomaster

They are not breeding the pilot whales, they have two females, a new male this year and a fourth is on its way, but they have a large pool at the dolphin show and they all perform in the shows so I don't think that they will get there own place.

12. sandiegomaster

Today's quote

"My-Oh-My, it seems like you’re all pretty well cemented in the new attraction being about sea turtles. The attraction will definitely feature something from the sea, but will also get your mind working as well as your adrenaline pumping. Stay tuned for Friday’s announcement."

sounds like they are going to add a ride.

13. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

A new rollercoaster will see me going back to San Diego, and my bank account won't have anything to say about it! :D

But I'm an optimist and sincerely believe that good wishes come true eventually. So, until the come forward with this new mysterious attraction of theirs, I'll continue dreaming about, say, Elephant Seals; for in the end that wish has to come true (only seen one in my entire life, at the Berlin Zoo in Germany back in 1995, the last one in Europe)

14. sandiegomaster

Today's quote

" One more day until we announce next year’s new attraction. The exhibit will allow our guests to see some amazing animals in a new way. Tune in tomorrow at 1 p.m. San Diego time when we “hatch” the news!"

Sounds like turtles.

15. sandiegomaster

16. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

That's it for me; I'm off to San Diego! :)

17. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member