Join our zoo community

Perth Zoo new exhibit for perth zoo?????????????

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Coquinguy, 9 Dec 2006.

1. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

has anyone heard anything about or know for sure anything about a new exhibit planned as an extension to perth zoo's asian rainforest zone??? when i was there in july a big, overgrown area right next to the newly enlarged elephant enclosure had been earmarked for redevelopment, and i was wondering if anyone know what species was going in there???

2. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

The last I had heard of was the extension of the elephants - it isn't another stage of the orangs is it?

3. Coquinguy

no, the elephants enclosure has been extended and will meet the needs of the elephant herd and i guess, any calves, for the life of the master-plan.
    the elephant enclosure is long and backs on to the african savannah. the barn is at the rear of the enclosure and open on to a yard and then the two enclosures.
    the bull area is a circular type exhibit, opposite the orangs and gibbons, set within a rainforest and reached by a boardwalk. it has a waterfall and pool, is nice and big and sandy with plenty of deadfall and upright tree trunks for enrichment. the exhibit, now used exclusively for the bull, used to house all 4 animals, which is where the extension comes into play. its about the size (roughly) of melbournes bull paddock.
    the extended exhibit is for the 3 females. it has two viewing areas under pitched roofed asian style pagodas and these are reached along a jungle trail. it isnt quite as immersion as taonga or melbournes and it certainly isnt as convincing as the african savannah but it functions from the elephants point of view. as i said in an earlier post, none of these animals steretyped once over two visits and i watched them both times for hours.
    this exhibit is a little smaller than melbourne's biggest. again, the main substrateis sand and it has been designed to encourage walking-its a longish exhibit. at one end theres a waterfall and huge pond, plus sand mounds and vegetation.
    the area im wondering about is at the end of this exhibit. theres plenty of fig trees and jungle plants there, but its not going to be an orang exhibit or from what i can see in the masterplan, anything in particular. maybe its a tapir exhibit (a renewed focus of australian zoos we wish), or even a chital deer enclosure with a post fence for access to the elephant enclosure. i dont know, which is why ive emailed the zoo ;)

4. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

the zoos latest annual report talks of another extension, maybe this here. go to site and read about it.

5. Coquinguy

it is an elephant exhibit

yet another extension is being planned for the elephants at perth zoo. the extension is worth $4.7 million and will be completed next year to include a new bull barn, additional exhibit space, exercise areas and a display yard, plus a 'ranger interpretive centre'.
    the exhibit will again increase the elephants area threefold. hopefully it will be finished when i visit perth zoo next year

6. Pamelas

Pamelas Member

The entire area, from Rainforest Retreat, up to the White-cheeked Gibbons, is the Asian Rainforest Zone. There is a new entry statement called Bukit Station which features interp and a faux ruined temple with Asian animal species on it.

The zone takes in the eles, orangs, gibbons (white-cheeked and silvery), sun bears (who arrived last night!), red pandas, tigers and small-clawed otters.

Cheers.

Poss.

7. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Hello Pam and welcome. Have you read a thread I started about SEARE (South East Asian Rainforest Exhibits) at Mel, Tar and Ade. Now it seems Perth can be added to the group. Would you like to tell us Easterners more about it on that thread?
    Jay