Join our zoo community

New exhibit standards in Russia

Discussion in 'Russia' started by Elephas Maximus, 11 May 2021.

1. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If these size standards were any smaller, giant tortoises would have to lie on the side permanently.

21.5 ha is not small for an urban zoo, but much of Moscow Zoo are several huge ponds. From what I saw, even so-called modernized sections are visibly too small. There are still small cages just few animal body length across, which disappeared from Europe some decades ago. I imagine if Moscow zoo wanted to become a modern zoo, it would need to redesign, demolish and rebuild whole sections and keep only few large ABC mammals. But Moscow has some breeding center on its outskirts, where they keep argali and whatever. I guess Moscow could become another city with a small central zoo and a huge landscape zoo on its outskirts - like Antwerp and Plackendael for example.

2. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No it's certainly pretty large compared to the average European urban zoo, just too many large, active megafauna for the area, massively outdated reptile enclosures, and some very odd bird exhibits. The elephants leaving would free up a huge area of the zoo and given that this exhibit itself is rather on the small size it would make sense (playing hypotheticals of course) to remove them entirely and use the space for some other species.

The breeding center is pretty massive with very large paddocks. The carnivore enclosures are OK in general, but a bit of a mixed bag and it really isn't set up for the public (or at least it wasn't when I visited in 2016) - there weren't standoff barriers between the paths and some of the carnivores for instance. It would be great to see it develop however.

3. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks, I really appreciate that insight.

4. csartie

csartie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Along with these new requirements also comes a new licensing process for zoos that adhere to them -- all animal exhibitors in Russia will be required to be licensed by January 1st, 2022, otherwise they'll be operating illegally. Inspections will take place one year after initial approval, and then every 3 years going forward. Yekaterinburg Zoo has asked for an extension on their inspection, but it remains to be seen if such requests will be honored or not, and to what extent.
    Россельхознадзор начал выдавать лицензии зоопаркам и океанариумам

The licensing process bring with it a whole range of other requirements as well outside of spacial exhibit standards, covering everything from microchipping requirements to prohibiting physical contact with animals. The public will be able to view which facilities have been issued a license online, within 10 days of its issuance.
    С 2022 года показать звериное шоу без лицензии будет нельзя

It seems that the Moscow Zoo's exhibitors license has already been approved -- perpetually? I'm assuming they'll still undergo the same inspections and be held under the same requirements as every other facility, otherwise the point is moot.
    Московский зоопарк получил лицензию на содержание и использование животных в культурно-зрелищных целях

Dormitator likes this.