Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo New exhibit's 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by uszoo, 25 Feb 2014.

1. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

In 2014 the bronx zoo will be opening two new exhibits. The first of these is widely known as the Komodo dragon exhibit. This will take up half of Zoo Center (former elephant house) and the yards that formally held malayan tapir/ babirusa. Across the path from here will be the newly renovated Children's Zoo. This three acre area will be refreshed with new species and larger exhibit spaces. Here is a list of the species included in this complex (new species are marked with a $ sign):
    - Night Heron
    - Prairie Dog
    - Otter (unknown species)
    - Monk Parakeet
    - Degu
    - Snake
    - Salamander
    - Red Legged Seriema ($)
    - Fish
    - Patagonian Cavy
    - Giant Anteater ($) in the former wallaby yard
    - Flamingo (zoo may include them in former duck pond)
    - American Alligator
    - Turtle
    - Coati ($) in former monkey exhibit
    - Squirrel Monkey (on two new islands in duck pond)
    - Sloth's ($) zoo not sure if they will be included
    - Pudu ($)
    - Porcupine
    - Great Horned Owl
    - Skunk
    - Rabbit
    - Tortoise
    - Tarantula
    - Lizard
    - Fennec Fox
    - Kangaroo Rat ($)
    - Gopher Snake
    - Cow, Donkey, Goat, Sheep, Turkey, Duck, Pig, Alpaca, Chicken

- So most of the new species are from south america. The most exciting animal is the Giant Anteater. The zoo has no designated south american area so this part of the zoo is picking up those species. The biggest change is the redone and expanded barnyard. Animals will now have more space than they previously had. The amount of species in the barn area seems to be smaller. New interactive elements and signage will be added to enhance the experience for visitors. The entire middle section of the trail will now have south american species. There will be new islands for squirrel monkey who's netted exhibit will now hold coati. The wallaby yard will hold the cavy and giant anteater. Sloth's may be added as well.
    - I visited the zoo this week. A full trip report will be posted next weekend but I observed a lot of construction. The entrance was being rebuilt and the barnyard was torn up. The exhibit still has a lot of construction left to complete but june or july seem achievable.

Below is the link to the children's zoo site. Go to view brochure to see a map of the new exhibit.
    Support the Children's Zoo

2. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

can someone please move this to the bronx zoo forum. Thank you.

3. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

It says Asian small-clawed Otter for the species.

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

I just realized this will be the 3rd flamingo exhibit at the zoo. The children's zoo before was average. The 1st portion with the wild animals was fine with nice exhibits that were mostly large enough. The 2nd portion which was the barnyard was horribly outdated. The barnyard exhibits will get slightly larger which is a plus. But also the new signage will be a plus as the signs that were previously in this exhibit were dated. The area around zoo center has received almost all of the zoos investment in the past few years. Madagascar, the Komodo Dragons, the Children's Zoo and the white rhinos all are within 200 feet of each other.

6. ThylacineAlive

I hope the signage is much better now. Yes, and I'm personally hoping for a third species, though it's too much to ask for only one ASCO enclosures I guess so who knows:p One of the outdoor yards for the new reptile exhibit will be for Aldabra Giant Tortoise.

~Thylo:cool:

7. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

So the zoo has put out it summer map on its website. It shows the reopened Dinosaur Safari behind the aquatic bird house. It also shows the Childrens Zoo as reopening over the summer. The most shocking thing is that there is no komodo dragon exhibit on the map. When I was last there the interior was basically done. It has been 1 year of construction on this exhibit but the last 6 months have seen little to no progress. It really annoys me that the zoo does not finish this exhibit already. Anyone else feel the same way.

8. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I heard rumors that they would be aiming to open it next month. It takes a while to put together a good exhibit and get everything right, especially with an aging building like zoo center. Holding reptiles in a climate controlled environment with a building like that is difficult.

9. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

- I thought it would not open this summer due to the fact that it was not labelled unlike the children's zoo. Thanks for the info we haven't had a new exhibit in so long.

10. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Island Giants has come across some issues, hence the delay of the opening. Certain mechanicals has to be addressed, as well as better insulatory elements used to keep the exhibits climate controlled. They've also added several, large generators in case they lose electricity to keep the critters nice and tucked-in.

11. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

It was overdue since years to renovate the outdeated Childrens-Zoo. The new exhibts, especially the barnyard, are looking much better now on the computer simulations-hopefully, they are in real better than the present one-the old Childrens Zoo barnyard was one of the most worst I've ever seen.

Where the Small-clawed otetrs came from ? From the Jungle World, or is the Zoo keeping them at Jungle World and the Childrens Zoo, or if they otters move from their tiny exhibt at Jungle World to the new Childrens Zoo, which animals will be kept in the Otter exhibit at Jungle World ?

By the way Jungle World-are there still only fish and turtles in the former gharial exhibit ?

12. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

- The zoo for years has been keeping Asian small clawed otters at both jungle world and the children's zoo. The answer to your second question is that there are still the turtles and fish, but the zoo has added free flight painted stork that bring a lot of energy to the exhibit.

13. Bib Fortuna

Thanks. I thought, there were River Otters at the Childrens Zoo, and I had a little bit of hope, the Otters from Jungle World could now enjoy the"luxery"of an outdoor exhibit...

Painted stork-is it Mycteria leucocephala ?

Do you know, if the tree trunk terrarium for Phytons is still there, and in which part of Jungle World is it ?

14. threeple61

threeple61 Well-Known Member

Yes - Mycteria leucocephala

15. ThylacineAlive

The python- which was a Malayan Blood Python (Python brongersmai)- is no long in that tree trunk terrarium. It was removed some time ago. It was in the main JungleWorld aviary where the Gharials were.

The JungleWorld aviary where the Gharials were is now home to several bird species including the aforementioned storks along with waterfowl and at one point, but I'm not sure if still, hornbills (I never saw them, only signage which I didn't notice on my last visit). The pond has four fish species in it now and three turtle ones, I believe.

16. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

- I don't believe the hornbills are still there. I remember when they were there it was so amazing.

17. ThylacineAlive

I unfortunately never saw them. Do you remember what species they were? I don't think they were one I've ever seen.

18. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

I believ that they were great indian hornbill.

19. ThylacineAlive

Oh really? In that case I don't feel as bad missing them as I've seen the species before. Though it must have been quite a sight seeing them flying around in there.

Also for our friend Bib Fortuna, I forgot to mention that the aviary also has flying fox in it.

20. Bib Fortuna

@ThylacineAlive.

Thank you-is the tree trunk terrarium still in use for other animals, or is it, hopefully, empty ? Is this Aviary in the Gharial-Exhibit new ? I can't remember having seen it ? So the Painted storks are not be kept free flying ?

And thanks for the additional information with the Flying fox-which species is it excactly ? Are there any pictures of that aviaray in teh gallery ?