Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo New exhibit's 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by uszoo, 25 Feb 2014.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You're very welcome.

I think the terrarium has been removed altogether and I've never noticed anything else in it. The aviary is the entire last room of JungleWorld. The Painted Storks can freely fly throughout the aviary.

They are Rodrigues Flying Fox. The zoo also keeps Indian Flying Fox in the Javan Langur enclosure (old Proboscis Monkey) apparently but I've never seen them. There are many photos of the aviary in the gallery. I've posted a few photos of animals within the aviary myself.

~Thylo:cool:

2. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not sure why an indoor rainforest habitat with tapirs, gibbons, turtles, bats and fish (and a few birds) is being referred to as an "aviary." I also rather doubt there are bats in with the langurs. And the snake in a log is one of the most impactful herp exhibits ever devised--it is a shame if it is no longer occupied. It was (is?) certainly no less appropriate a space than the majority of rectangular snake boxes in a hundred Reptile houses around the world.

3. ThylacineAlive

The tapirs and gibbons are in a separate area. The aviary is large room with trees and a large pond. Well the way the enclosure is designed the bats could easily be in there and never come in contact with the langurs. The log python terrarium had dirty glass, was hardly ever noticed, and was absolutely tiny. It was certainly much less appropriate of a space than the majority of snake terrariums in reptile houses.

4. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Uh, the gibbons live in the same trees that you mention, contained on one side by the tapir pond and on the other by the former gharial "river." While visitors leave the space briefly to view small herps and invertebrates and then return to the "river" side, it is all one big space. The fruit bats have access to this entire area, but tend to roost in trees above the visitor side of the river, where they cannot be harrassed by gibbons.

You referred to bats sharing space with the Javan langurs, which are housed in a completely separate room from the area referred to above. The langurs you seem to be thinking of are Silvered leaf monkeys, whose exhibit could theoretically be accessed by the bats, if they chose to fly through a narrow cave separated by the visitor walkway. In contrast, the Javan langur exhibit lacks any real refuge space from which bats could escape monkeys, which is why I seriously question your statement that they are housed on that side of Jungeleworld.

In the past, when the python log glass was properly maintained, there would be audible gasps from visitors looking up to see an apparently "loose" snake right over their heads. The resident pythons were rotated in and out of he log, which is certainly as big as many herp exhibits and nearly all back of house holding enclosures. When it worked, it had more impact than any cookie-cutter row of reptiles found in most zoos. If it has been abandoned, it's just another indictment of the lazy curatorial approach that has resulted in tamarins being housed in the Asian Bird of Paradise exhibit in the World of Birds, just to name one egregious instance of things "slipping" at the Bronx.

5. ThylacineAlive

As far as I'm aware, there's a wall separating these two areas. And even if, I'd still consider the large last room as an aviary. But I may be wrong, though. I've simply never seen any cross-over, though.

JungleWorld supposedly houses both Rodrigues Flying Fox and Indian Flying Fox. The Rodrigues are in the area we've been talking about, the Indian are apparently with the Javan Langurs. If you look at photos of the Javan Langur enclosure, you'll see that there's a ledge behind the langurs full of trees which can't be accessed by them and would likely be the refuge area for the bats. While I've never seen them there, the zoo has signage for the bats in that enclosure and the zoo's posted a photo of the bats on their website when they first arrived saying that's where they were.

I hardly remember that terrarium so I won't differ with you on that point. I just remember it being small. If you are referring to the closure of the Monkey House, this is due to the house and mainly its off-show areas becoming run down. The mechanics weren't working right and both keepers and animals were being injured when moved between on-show and off. That's why it was decided to close the house and that's why the Golden Lion Tamarins and Bolivian Titis were moved into World of Birds.

6. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

On my last visit there were bats in both the javan langur exhibit and the largest exhibit. There were about 5 bats hanging from the plants on the left side of the langur exhibit. I had not seen them till then.

7. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure I have seen a python in the log within the last year.

8. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It seems to me, and I would agree, that the problem is less with the tamarins being in World of Birds and more about them being in with the Bird of Paradise in World of Birds.

9. ThylacineAlive

They aren't in with birds-of-paradise. At least not on my last visit. The tamarin enclosure is at the very beginning of the house while the Lesser Birds-of-Paradise are found further within the building. I'll check this when I'm there this upcoming weekend.

10. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Any news about the new childrens zoo will be opend ?

11. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

So not yet an opening date for the new childrens zoo ?

12. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

well the barn's open

13. savethelephant

14. savethelephant

The whole thing will now open on May 30