Join our zoo community

New Exhibits to replace elephants?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by MRJ, 17 Dec 2018.

1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I recall Taronga having palm squirrels, but wouldn’t be surprised if they’re no longer there.

This entire conversation hinges on the faulty premise that Melbourne Zoo is actively interested in displaying animals. They’ve been experimenting for years with how few animals they can get away with having while maintaining visitor numbers.

2. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Not to mention spend millions on the most boring and uninspired new exhibits. The carnivores revamp would have to take the cake for me. Its extensive use of shipping containers both in and outside of the animal areas made my skin crawl. Even the plantings are terrible.

3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

See, I actually reckon that complex is a considerable improvement on the Wild Seas development, and whatever Growing Wild was supposed to be. Faint praise, to be sure.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

When I was at Perth Zoo in 2015 I noticed heir absence and asked about it - the keepers told me they'd disappeared in the last few years.

And in the same year I saw a pair for sale in a Petshop in Western Sydney for $5,000.

:p

Hix