Join our zoo community

Closed New Gallery Request Thread 2016

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by vogelcommando, 2 Jan 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Thank you Sim, all the images are showing again now :)

Simon Hampel likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

MRJ likes this.
  3. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you very much, Sim! Now everything is perfect now!

Simon Hampel likes this.
  4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I think that the new ZooChat changes have been mostly all excellent and I greatly respect all of the work done on this site...but I do have a couple of quibbles related to photos and if those two things were resolved then the site would become truly amazing once again.

1- Is there still going to be the addition of new galleries for zoos? There are likely 100+ requests that have gone unfulfilled from 2015-2017 and would it be better for members to re-post the requests or is "jobalba" going to eventually add in all of the zoos?

2- "FunkyGibbon" typed up this paragraph yesterday and hopefully he doesn't mind me copying and pasting it here as it is something that many members agree with: "Lastly, I think this whole issue is hugely exacerbated by the fact that the photo comments section has basically become unusable for discussions. I think before the site changed half of all interaction happened there, and the percentage would have been much higher for discussions [citation needed]. I know people aren't saying this because it seems really impolite and ungrateful to Sim for the work he has done, and I don't want to be either of those things, but I think it is a huge problem with the site right now. Over 1000 pictures have been added in the last few days and any gems amongst them will likely be underappreciated because there's no recent comments or recent likes functionality to push the good ones forward. If and when this is solved I think it will reduce some pressure on threads to be both news and discussion based."

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Have you been back through the posts in this thread and the 2015 request thread? There have been over 100 new galleries added from old requests since the middle of December.

I'm pretty sure we're largely up to date now, thanks to the hard work that @jobalba has put in over the past few weeks.

If there's any we missed, please let us know.

We've already covered this multiple times.

I do fully intend to improve this aspect of the forums and make it work at least as well as it did on the old site - but you need to appreciate that it's very much a non-trivial thing to implement (at least several weeks of work required) and it's going to cost me a lot to get it done.

To complicate matters, there is a major new release of the forum software coming in the next month or two and that is a complete re-write of the forum back-end which means that any changes I make now will become obsolete as soon as the new version is released and I'll need to do all that work again. It's difficult enough to get it done once, but having to find the time to do it twice within a couple of months is not really feasible.

So you'll need to be patient for a little while longer - once I get access to the new software, I'll start working on an update to add all this new functionality. I'll try and talk to the developer of the gallery component and see if they are planning on adding this functionality themselves any time soon (I've already made a feature request), if so that would make things even easier, but I know they are focused on getting the new version released right now and aren't actively adding new features to the software until that's done.

In the meantime, it would be really helpful if I could get a few more members to upgrade their account to help pay for the hosting and running costs of the site.

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Two Things:

I've got a new list going of at least 25 zoos in the USA but I just spent some time going through the gallery and things look much improved! Thanks jobalba!

I just became a "premium member" by paying $40 Canadian for an annual membership. Done! :)

Simon Hampel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.