Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens New Geico "Hey, Mike! Hump Day!" Commercial Filmed At The LA Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Blackduiker, 4 Jan 2015.

1. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

I'm sure most regular visitors to the Los Angeles Zoo, have recognized the Giraffe Exhibit used in the filming of this latest GEICO commercial. We no longer exhibit either Bactrian or Dromedary camels here. If one looks carefully you can even spy several chimps staring in the background; sitting in their Chimpanzees of the Mahale Mountains habitat.

Camels At The Zoo Commercial: ?Hey, Mike! Hump Day!? GEICO YouTube Ad Gets 1.7M Views
    mike-hump-day-geico-youtube-ad-gets-1-7m-views/

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Obviously working camels brought in for the commercial, but they look kind of odd to me. They have two humps (Bactrian) but look much more slender and less hairy than the ones I have seen at various zoos. Are working camels always this way or is there a chance they are Bactrian-dromedary hybrids?

3. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think they look a bit like wild Bactrians

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Bactrian_camel]Wild Bactrian camel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

4. zeynep

zeynep Well-Known Member 5+ year member

These are not zoo Bactrians. Usually zoo camels are over-weight, sometimes they're obese. They probably have lost their winter coats and may have been groomed. Wild Bactrians aren't in any zoos I know of. Bactrians are less numerous than Dromedaries.
    DromedaryxBactrian camels look more robust than either parent and have one hump.

5. zeynep

zeynep Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not only am I a giraffe nerd, I have numerous acquaintances in the camel business.