Join our zoo community

Tierpark Hellabrunn New Giraffehouse at Munich

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Tarsius, 24 Mar 2011.

1. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

The Tierpark Hellabrunn in Munich has started planning a new giraffehouse at the place of the present Heck cattle/Tarpan enclosure.

The present giraffe enclosure in the historic elephant house is to small, especially the stables.

So the giraffes will move a soon as possible out of the elphant house, to give the elephants more room ( by the way, two elephants are pregnant, one of them is due for may ) The zoo has started collecting money for the giraffehouse.

Recently, they have published two simiulated pictures of the new giraffe house ein their 100 Years anniversay book.

I've uploaded both pictures. Don't be irritated by the massai giraffes in the pictures, munich isn't keeping them, I think, the architect used the best giraffe pictures he could get for the simulation.

The pictures shows, how it COULD be, this isn't the final design. But it looks like the new giraffehouse at Dresden Zoo.

My opinion is, it looks good, but Iwould never keep giraffes behind glass, and in this case, they are kept in the front and in the back behind glass, like in an aquarium. It is a big risk doing that....

Attached Files:

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
  2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member