Join our zoo community

Zoo de la Flèche New in 2009 : Congo River

Discussion in 'France' started by Maxime, 29 Sep 2010.

1. Maxime

Maxime Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoo de la Flèche :
    "Congo River" : Bongos, red river hogs and pygmy hippos

I observed that on Zoochat, French zoos were were unfortunately often unknown. So I decided to present some important installations in the hope that you like it. And sorry for my English !

In 2009, le Zoo de la Flèche (France) opened a new exhibit called "Congo River".

Visible from a long boardwalk winding through the bamboo, it consists of a big exhibit for four tropical-african species : the red river hog (2 specimens), the bongo (1), the pygmy hippopotamus (2) and the grey crowned crane (2).

The enclosure is composed of a grassy part, a forested part, a small natural pool for the hogs and an underwater-viewed pool for the hippos.

This mixed-species exhibit was the first of its genus in Europe, and it was a "test" for the european zoos to know if this species can live together. Unfortunately, the river hogs were too agressive with the others species and destructive with the plants, so a new exhibit is planned for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nicholas

nicholas Well-Known Member

Interesting info and nice pictures. Thank you!

3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I visited this zoo in the summer and liked it a great deal. Although the species were fairly unexciting - in so far as there was little that was unusual - the standard of display was very high. The various bear enclosures looked great (although a lot of hot wire meant that the key word might be looked); the elephant paddock was nicely done; an enclosure for black leopards was simply beautiful in tis channeling of the viewer's perspective.