Join our zoo community

New IUCN Red List site

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by littleRedPanda, 17 Sep 2018.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Red List

Looks like they are trying to make information more accessible and user friendly, although not finished yet.

2. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I like how the images are more prominent on the new site; previously they felt like a bit of an afterthought shoved away in the corner. I also like how distribution maps appear within the main assessment rather than in a separate window.

birdsandbats likes this.
  3. littleRedPanda

It's a definite improvement. I was imagining creating something similar last year with my own photos, until I found this site which is done a lot better than I could have managed on my own :D

birdsandbats and Swampy like this.
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Ew, I really don't like that at all. I do like the distribution map being right there - on the old site it was just a pain - but as a whole it doesn't look like a professional trustworthy site at all now, it looks like some kid made it. What's with all the giant dates and lettering? If I was looking for source material and came across that site randomly without knowing it was the IUCN site, I'd pass right over it because it looks so amateurish.

Jambo and Kakapo like this.
  5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

The new site is an awful horrendouns nightmare!!!! I used extensively this page as one of the sources for made my own species factsheets. It was perfect, a great quantity of valuable data in the text, often difficult to find in other public sources. Now we only have a page full of colour squares, with two (instead one) repeated global maps that make the PC run very slowly instead a clear nice text indicating the distribution in detail, and with all the info about the species hidden. This is a great loss. I can't be more agree with Chlidonias!

6. littleRedPanda

I'm hoping it's a work in progress and some of the obvious faults will be ironed out; there are paragraphs containing gobledigook too as place holders (or whatever they're called). Send them some feedback?

Last edited: 17 Sep 2018
  7. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The new website is modern, which I like, though it really isn't like the old informational professional style it was, it is an improvement in style, though it lacks in information.

Jambo likes this.
  8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Add me to the unconvinced list. It's got 'Windows 8 Disease' - clearly designed for small screens, it's really hard to find a particular piece of information on a standard monitor - you just see random blocks of colour and headers within headers.

I know the current trend is all against text-based websites but it's possible to go too far the other way.

nczoofan and Kakapo like this.
  9. littleRedPanda

If you don't like the style, then the PDF appears to load into the browser now, rather than download automatically.

ZooBinh likes this.
  10. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looks like yet another popular website directed at children. More graphics heavy than Wikipedia. Hard to dig the actual information.

Probably somebody told a graphic designer to make the site more attractive, and he/she made it look cheap and unprofessional.

Kakapo likes this.