Join our zoo community

*New!* - Jane Kim's The Wall of Birds

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by AnaheimZoo, 13 Nov 2018.

1. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

We can talk about the illustrious Alexander Wilsons, John James Audubons and Richard Bowdler Sharpes of the world, but as an amateur wildlife artist growing up in the 21st century, my current inspiration is a more modern artist who goes by the name of Jane Kim. She is a scientific illustrator, and the mind (and brush) behind one of my most favorite works, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's astounding The Wall of Birds: From So Simple a Beginning - a 78-by-35 foot mural that depicts life-size, full-color representatives of each of the 243 recognized families of birds (although, that number has probably already changed due to recent taxonomic findings) on a world map background. In addition, several extinct modern families, most of which humans drove to extinction, are included (i.e. the moa, the elephant bird, etc.), as well as several extinct genera that preceded the birds on their evolutionary path. If you have never heard of this piece, here is the video I saw two and a half years ago that piqued my interest in this phenomenal artistic endeavor:

I was obsessed with this piece for quite some time after seeing that video, and that obsession was recently reignited. Last week, as I was browsing the wildlife and nature section of Barnes & Noble, I stumbled upon this: (The Wall of Birds - Ink Dwell), and needless to say, my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. Just published this past October 23rd, The Wall of Birds, co-written by Kim and her husband, documents the nearly 3-year-long process of planning, researching and painting that culminated in what one writer hails as “One of the most ambitious natural history murals in the world,” while also providing information about a number of the birds featured on the wall.

For me, this was an instant buy. I can't recall if I even looked inside the book at all, but having known the subject matter prior to, and having great interest in it, I had no choice but to purchase it. I believe every bird painting is showcased here. Some, such as the cassowary and the secretarybird, have short sub-chapters dedicated solely to them, while others share two-page spreads showing other birds. So far, it has been an enjoyable read, not only from an ornithological perspective, but from an artistic one, as well, and I highly recommend it if you are keen on birds and scientific illustration.

Also, if you don't think you could ever make a trip to Ithaca, New York, to see the mural in person, here is a virtual version of the piece instead! Wall of Birds - Evolution and Diversity

Last edited: 13 Nov 2018
  2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This has been on my wishlist for months, it looks stunning! There's been quite a few amazing bird books released recently.

AnaheimZoo likes this.
  3. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Wow! The mural is absolutely astounding! The correlation between scientific accuracy and artistic detail is exceptional! I've noticed a striking similarity between the artistry of Jane Kim, a scientific illustrator, and the artistry of Robert Bateman, a naturalist. Despite their different professions, Jane Kim and Robert Bateman share a passion and devotion for nature. Thank you @AnaheimZoo for sharing this.

AnaheimZoo likes this.
  4. TinoPup

AnaheimZoo likes this.
  5. AnaheimZoo

TinoPup likes this.
  6. AnaheimZoo

No problem! I was very eager to share this with anyone who'd might be interested. :)

Jane talks a lot about trying to find that balance between accuracy and artistic touch, and I think she found a near-perfect mix. I have seen Bateman's work; it is very impressive, and another great example of that blend. Robert succeeds in creating aesthetically-pleasing and dynamic works without sacrificing anything in the way of biological accuracy.

Elephant Enthusiast and TinoPup like this.
  7. TinoPup

Yes! I wasn't going to buy any more books this year, darn it, but between that and the official Stranger Things book also being 50% off, I couldn't resist. They should arrive in a day or two.

8. AnaheimZoo

Ooh, I'm excited for you! I do hope you enjoy it!

It's one of those books you have to just look through and study for a few hours before you actually start reading it. :D

I'd say I've gotten a good look at most of the paintings in it, but even still I find myself stopping often, even mid-sentence at times, and getting lost in the artwork. :p