Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo New London Tiger Exhibit

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by CountAlmaviva, 2 Aug 2010.

Tags:
  1. CountAlmaviva

CountAlmaviva Member

Has anyone else seen this?

It looks fantastic as an exhibit, even not being able to see much detail. The most interesting thing seems to be the tapirs in the Casson (and presumably, the hippos in Into Africa).

New tiger exhibit at ZSL London Zoo

2. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Very good news. Hopefully London can start breeding their tigers after its done.

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great link, thanks for that, all looks very exciting, but again it seems progress at the cost of diversity.

4. CountAlmaviva

CountAlmaviva Member

I know, it's sad. I just suppose people prefer seeing a FEROCIOUS TIGER IN A REALLY COOL INTERACTIVE EXHIBIT than they do seeing some equally interesting anoa.

5. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Even though I like the Anoa, I agree with another member in saying I think that London is going in the right direction here. I know the Anoa may be lost from the collection, but this looks like a great exhibit and I think London is coming on very nicely in recent and future years.

6. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if the anoa aren't placed somewhere nearby actually.

The press release says the new enclosure will be 'X' times bigger than the current one. Does this mean ten, or is this a typo? I'm not convinced the enclosure will be that much bigger. The plans essentially show the current summer hippo enclosure combined with about half of the small strip of grass and trees between the camels and the zoo perimeter.

I don't believe this is the main issue for ZSL anyway - they will fulfil their licensing obligations though two outdoor areas, and the 'finish' on the exhibit will be in line with their urban oasis branding. Visitors will see the tigers in a lush setting, it will look good, lets see if they (the next pair) will breed. Actually, lets see if they don't retire the current pair somewhere else in order to achieve this.

It is interesting to me that the artist's impression shows a mesh roof. I am guessing with their perimeter fencing already under criticism from past inspections, that this is unavoidable. I really hope they forfeit some of the inevitable aesthetics in order to put up some really decent, high platforms.

7. volvox

volvox Well-Known Member

I think it looks lovely, some of that area is very tatty and underused currently. Where does it say the tapirs are going into the Casson? Can't find that bit. It looks as if there will be a new pond in what is now the outdoor camel area – that would be nice. And I wonder what they will do with the old tiger enclosure? There will still be plenty of room for the anoas, I hope they don't get rid of them.

8. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

On the artists impresion, Malayan Tapirs are shown in the Casoon, the exhibit with the pond, but other than this, I think its speculation. Im unsure.

9. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So the pygmy hippos will no longer have an outdoor enclosure? Perhaps they are leaving the collection to go to Whipsnade?

Other than that it looks pretty good, about time too. Opens up possibilities for the current tiger enclosure.

10. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I imagine hippos will end up in 'Into Africa' very possibly in the current tapir enclosure.

This seems to be a creative proposal for a slightly awkward area and the idea of tapirs in the Casson seems very good, hopefully the interior will be spruced up a bit; it wouldn't take much to make it quite atmospheric and with the bearded pigs and komodo dragons makes a cohesive south east Asian zone.

On the whole I think it is positive and more ambitious than anything I had predicted.

Now I'm curious about what will happen to the current tiger exhibit. Given the expenditure which will be involved in this project I would guess that any changes to the terraces will be cosmetic but this isn't necesarily a bad thing in my view.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2010
  11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The map is too small to see properly but it looks like the Sealion/Hippo pool will disappear in this new construction. No harm in that as it is basically redundant- the Pygmy Hippos do not make real use of it- but doesn't it have a preservation order?

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It also looks as though the bearded pig enclosure is grassed over in the artists impression, will the pigs be kept on?, i can't see why, they are not pure bred bearded pigs are they.

And while still in rant mode, could there not have been some room made for an aviary.

13. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

By the looks of it there is an aviary to me, on the plan (https://static.zsl.org/images/originals/map-of-proposed-new-tiger-e-7806.jpg) which shows the proposed Tiger enclosure, then at the bottom there is an oblong building (orange building) which I presume to be a viewing area. On the otherside of this building another rectanglular area that looks to be netted over.

Its a wild guess but to me, it looks like an aviary. Although I cannot read the small writing over this area.

EDIT: Also, on the artists impression (https://static.zsl.org/images/originals/london-zoo-tigers-7805.jpg) which is in some ways clearer, shows this long building, with an aviary like structure attached. There also seems to be plants in this structure. But this is only a artists impression and could be different.

14. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I don't think this results in any serious loss of diversity, the hippos will probably be moved to a more appropriate area in terms of zoning which leaves only camels, anoas and the show animal cages affected by the new development and they are all (with perhaps the exception of camels) animals which can be easily accommodated elsewhere in the zoo.

Also don't forget that we don't know what will happen to the current tiger enclosure.

15. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I guess their idea of a 'lush indonesian forest' will be along the same lines as their idea of a 'lush african rainforest' as represented by Gorilla Kingdom.

:rolleyes:

16. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think maybe these are the existing enclosures for 'show animals'? These were originally enclosures for 'dogs' I think - way back - ie the ones behind the old sealion seating area?? Could be wrong?

Also it looks like the old sealion/ hippo pool may be retained in the tiger enclosure??

17. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Well I have only visited once in 2008, so I am unsure of the exact building and developments. Just looked like an aviary though.... From both the plan and artistic impression.

18. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Glad to hear that they are finally getting a move on and sorting a new exibit out as it's long over due. If the current pair (Lumpar and Raika) are still alive by the time the new enclosure is ready then I would initally expect them to remain in the current exibit as they will be 15 and 17 respectively by then and a new potential breeding pair brought in to take up residence in the new area.

19. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Great news, looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

I do wonder about the future of pygmy hippos at the zoo though- I can't imagine the current tapir accomodation ever really suiting them. I don't think they'll go in there.

Nevertheless, welcome news. Also will be interesting to see what happens on the current cat terrace.

20. Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man Well-Known Member

I am glad this is finally public knowledge however it is pretty well hidden on the ZSL site.

I think the plans use the space in that area very well as space is limited at London. I just hope the area lives up to the artists impression and they do also manage to renovate the Casson and there is a little money left in the pot to demolish the old tiger terraces and build some new primate enclosures in the tiger terraces place.