Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo New Madagascan arrivals (only temporary though)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 14 Sep 2010.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Paignton Zoo is to become a temporary home for a large collection of reptiles and amphibians from a breeding centre dedicated to helping Madagascan fauna.
    The arrival of the collection - 17 species including over 120 frogs as well as snakes, geckos and chameleons - means Paignton Zoo will have the largest collection of Malagasy species in the UK.
    The collection - destined for Endangered Madagascar, a wildlife conservation centre that is being built in Bath – will be housed in the Zoo’s new Amphibian Ark species rescue and reintroduction centre.
    There are over 120 frogs, including the Critically Endangered golden mantella Mantella aurantiaca; the green mantella Mantella viridis, the yellow mantella Mantella crocea and the blue-legged mantella Mantella expectata, which are all classed as Endangered.
    The splendid mantella Mantella pulchra, the Madagascan mantella - Mantella madagascariensis – and the green burrowing frog Scaphiophryne marmorata are all classed as Vulnerable.
    There are also 3 reptile species in the collection, including the Madagascan tree boa (Sanzinia madagascariensis), Standing’s day gecko (Phelsuma standingi) and the panther chameleon (Furcifer pardalis).

http://www.zandavisitor.com/newsart...gest_Collection_of_Malagasy_Species_in_the_UK

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

That's an incredible Mantella line-up.

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very interesting. The article goes on to mention common tenrecs going on display, which would be very interesting. I hope to down in Devon fairly soon, so a visit to Paignton may become necessary.

Alan

4. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

It is interesting. Does anyone know anything about the facility being built in Bath? Google doesn't come up with anything. It seems like there are/will be quite a few wildlife related destinations in this part of the country.

5. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, it is the latter facility.

I personally do hope there will be some spin-off effect for Paignton to create their interest in show-casing some Madagascan amphibians and reptiles in future at the Zoo ... :cool:

7. futurekeeper

futurekeeper Well-Known Member

have these animals arrived at paignton??? are they on show yet???

8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Don't get too excited yet. The frogs are in the Amphibian house and while you can see all the tanks, they are not arranged so that the contents are easily visible. I did see Golden Mantellas today - they are at the front of the exhibit facing the public - but it was impossible to tell what was behind them. Maybe they'll be rearranged eventually :confused: As for the tenrecs, I heard they were bound for Monkey Heights but I haven't seen them. I didn't visit Reptile Tropics today so can't say whether the reptiles have ended up in there yet.

9. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

10. Kifaru Bwana

A veritable achievement. Again, I do hope that Paignton will continue with Madagascan endangered amphibians and reptiles once the collection relocates to Cornwall.

As for mantellas, I personally know only of the wonderful Pilzen Zoo that has a good collection. Even with Uroplatus, Oplurus and Zonosaurus species too.

However, it is untrue that only 3 zoos maintain Mantellas. These days: Augsburg, Antwerpen, Frankfurt, Zuerich, Moskva, Kiyv and Riga maintain significant Mantella species.

I even noted that my very own maintains 2 species. Allthough, I have never seen them on exhibit, so they must be off-exhibit somewhere.

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bath is a good 200 miles from Cornwall ;)

12. Kifaru Bwana

OK, stand corrected on that one. :)

Care to comment on the rest?