Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens new Madagascan walk through

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by griggs, 25 Oct 2008.

1. griggs

griggs Member

has anyone been 2 the new Madagascan walk through yet at Cotswold its amazing my favourite animal in there is the ruffed lemur i would like to know what other peoples favourite animals in the walk through are:)

2. karenZOO

karenZOO Well-Known Member

Thats sounds good, have you gort any photos, Cotswold is on my list of zoos to visit!

I love the south american world walkthrough at Colchester it was great to have a two toed sloth climb past you then over your head ! (keeper informed us they rarely go to the toilet so no need for an umbrella!)
    Also got silvery marmosets and in the summer?? (whatever that was) the iguanas and tortoises are supposed to come out to!

3. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

not yet, but would love to go

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree that it is excellent. I visited Burford in August and I have posted some photos in the Gallery. I particularly admire the way they restrict the opening times and ban push chairs to avoid problems with the lemurs becoming over-familiar with the visitors.
    I have a soft spot for their old black lemurs, which are veterans of the Blackpool walk-through. But I expect that their broad-nosed gentle lemurs will be coming out of quarantine soon, and they are my real favourites (of course). I'm not sure where they will be housed.

Alan

5. griggs

griggs Member

i will have a look at them if i can find them;)

6. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was there last Sunday , a very grey and damp day . On the first and second walks through there was little sign of life apart from the birds .

Third time lucky , the male sifaka and his companion were out in their adjoining enclosure ( only visible from the walk through ) and the Alaotra lemurs were feeding on bamboo in their next door enclosure . In the main enclosure the group of ring-tailed lemurs with two little ones were out and about , on the path and low fence , I was surrounded by them - brilliant . They totally ignored me . One of the ruffed lemurs chased off a ring-tail who came too close to him or her . The collared and black lemurs were out but curled up in trees .

As with all of Cotswold , the planting and landscaping was very well done . I also liked the variety of birds found in Madagascar sharing the enclosure . There was no keeper on duty - when it is busier I would expect somebody would be around - and much of the time I was on my own in there .

The walled garden and surrounding area at Cotswold has long been one of my favourite UK zoo experiences with the Tropical House , breeding jaguarundis , graet blue touracos , breeding black storks etc. etc. - Madagascar makes it even better .

7. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

I've seen the iguanas and tortoises out

8. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Last time I was there that place was just being built sounds great!