Join our zoo community

Seneca Park Zoo New Master Plan

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zooplantman, 5 Nov 2015.

1. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

2. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member

These new plans are very exciting and I look forward to visiting the zoo when they complete everything. I am also glad they are not follow the current trend of updating their polar bear exhibit as by the time they'd get around to it, their older polar bears would probably no longer be with them. I almost wish they would focus on either gorillas or orangutans and not both. That way they could have a bigger exhibit or two exhibits for the one species.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member Premium Member

I printed off the document and went through it with much interest as Seneca Park is a zoo that I've never visited. Part of the fun was guessing what establishments most of the photos were taken at, as for example Sedgwick County Zoo's gorilla habitat is represented and there is a great overhead shot of the Bornean orangutan complex at Phoenix Zoo.

The zoo is not very large (15 acres) but the idea of having the first impression be of a gorilla exhibit is great news. One major flaw of the zoo is that the layout is linear and results in visitors doubling back and passing exhibits that they've already toured. In my mind that is always a huge drawback to a zoo visit and so tinkering with the flow of traffic makes sense in the Master Plan.

4. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member

I like the concept of the new Africa expansion. It is a shame though that there aren't dramatic plans to expand the outdoor portion of the elephant space, it would be nice to see them expand a corridor of some sort to connect the elephants to the new hoof stock and giraffe space and create a space similar to Dallas.

5. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

6. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member

Fantastic news!