Join our zoo community

New Member!!!!!!!! Can anyone help regarding Vet Based TV show?

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Winniewhalefan, 20 Dec 2009.

1. Winniewhalefan

Winniewhalefan New Member

Hi

I'm a new member here, and very much looking forward to discussing topics on here about zoo's!

I wondered if anyone could help me. I remember in the 1980's a tv show called 'One By One' about a vet who treated exotic animals in zoos. I remember a episode about a Killer Whale who shared a tank with a dolphin and the dolphin attacked the whale causing the tank to be filled with blood. Now, nobody in my family or friends seem to remember it! Does anyone else remember it and help me confirm I haven't gone raving mad! Also, if any one does know of it do you know if there is anywhere on line where i can view the episode.

Many thanks
    Winniewhalefan

2. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Google is your friend.

"One By One" - Google Search

"One By One" - Google Videos

It was a fictitious series. Those searches took all of about two seconds so I'm sure if you spend more time you can find a lot more info. A lot of the series was filmed at Dudley, so it's fun spotting the old (and still standing) enclosures.

3. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

One By One

The TV series was based upon the career of David Taylor of International Zoo vets. I worked with David in different roles through four zoos and two countries and look upon him as a good friend. The books he wrote were based upon fact but with just a touch of poetic licence. With the TV series it was still truth based but stretched out so far as to be fictious.
    I became seriously ill in an incident with a poison arrow frog whilst working in a middle eastern zoo. This appeared in the TV series only it took place in the UK and with a female being the affected person.
    I recall the Killer Whale in a blood filled pool. No dolphin involved though. It was dysentry of sorts. Another of lifes little episodes which I wrote up along with the frog in 'Should I Be Here or Somewhere Else'.

4. Winniewhalefan

Winniewhalefan New Member

Thank you for SMR for the help! I am so glad that I wasn't simply imaging that series!

Your link, Peter was absolutely fascinating. It really was fascinating to read your experience with Cuddles and see another side to him (with regards to the frogs), as I have read elsewhere he was a troublesome, badly behaved, even dangerous whale. Thank you for filling me in on the episode I've been desperately hunting down, and so far not come across it online. I had no idea it was dysentry. I saw the episode when I was about six, and sure I saw a dolphin in the tank to, so to my mind, the two had clashed and fought. Thank you both, for your help.

5. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

David Taylor (veterinarian) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember the series. Shame they never released it on DVD. Yes you are right Peter David did use a little bit of license in the writing the books but they are entertaining and interesting.

6. Peter Dickinson

Dolphins were often in the main pool with Cuddles. They got on well together. During the dysentry episode though they were confined to holding pens.
    Cuddles did have his 'moments' though but I never heard of him harming a dolphin.

7. Peter Dickinson

I agree John nothing wrong with the books. Both fun and interesting to read. There is presently a private endeavour to get the series out on to YouTube. I have watched some clips but not sure how far it has got.

8. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I remember an episode in which a woman called the vet to report her armadillo was eating its babies, turned out it was eating woodlouse that got into its box.
    The first few series were based in around Dudley zoo, then further series were set in Windsor safari park, both with fictional names.
    I believe they even filmed part of an episode at Hagenbecks tierpark in Hamburg, which featured an elephant seal.

9. Peter Dickinson

I was actually there in a Manchester studio when the armadillo sequence was filmed. I believe the armadillo came from Bristol Zoo.
    I was there to supervise two flamingos being kept in a bathroom. They were meant to be feeding out of a soapdish. What do you know...they did it every one of the three takes.

David of course did deal with Elephant Seals. There had been the one in Cleethorpes Zoo and the other in Flamingo Park Zoo (great fun to clean out as he slid towards you at twenty mph). Both had passed away by the time of the TV series.

Further elephant seals were brought in later but I don't recollect the outcome.