Join our zoo community

New Member Says "Howdy!"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HalfEarther, 10 Sep 2016.

1. HalfEarther

HalfEarther Member

Hello, all.

I joined this group because I’m very interested in wildlife, conservation, and the roles zoos play in wildlife conservation. I'm also interested in their potential as educators of the public regarding conservation and local/global environmental issues.

I have specific questions about these things, but this New Member Introduction thread might not be the appropriate place to pose them, so I'll throw them out there in another thread.

Best regards,

HalfEarther

P.S. My user name is a reference to E. O. Wilson's recent book Half Earth: Our Planet's Fight for Life. I thought I should mention this because after creating my user name and saying it out loud, I thought it had a kind of crazy "Flat Earther" feel to it. Wilson proposes that we save half the earth for wildlife (a large part of that being sections of the ocean), which might be crazy but not in the same way believing the earth is flat is crazy. :D

Birdsage likes this.
  2. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Welcome to zoochat, HalfEarther! So do you work in the industry or is it only an interest?

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Also from the Netherlands welcome to ZooChat !

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I saw Halfearther, I thought maybe your mother is a human and your father is an alien! (Just a joke, no offense to your biological parents whom I have no doubt are both fully human).

Anyway you will certainly learn much here.

Birdsage likes this.
  5. HalfEarther

HalfEarther Member

No, I don't work in the industry, but I'd love to one day. The reason for the specific questions I asked is that I'm writing a short story in which the main character is a communications manager at a zoo.

6. HalfEarther

HalfEarther Member

Thank you!

7. HalfEarther

HalfEarther Member

Good point. I'm starting to think I should change my user name. :)