Join our zoo community

New nature conservation centre

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by SimonBio, 3 Aug 2019.

1. SimonBio

SimonBio Member

Hi ZOO chat members, how are you?
    In Autumn period I am opening a house of biotops in the centre of Celje, Slovenia. It will be an inovative educational and nature conservation spot. We finally got indoor place, about 600 square metters. There will be replicated different worldwide ecosystems with plants and animals in artificial environment, also desert area, Rizona for example, Costa Rica and South American Jungle, South-East Asia, African savanna and Madagascar, Meditteran area, etc. There will be a lots of walking-through places. I would like to ask you, if some of you have some animals available, that could be propriate for the exhibition (exhibition wil be constantly there). For now already have about 80 different animal species, mostly insects, spiders, some reptiles, coaties, snails, millipedes, etc. I am also open for some suggestions. Iam also in contact with some European ZOOs and breeders of exotic animals.
    Best
    Simon

Last edited: 3 Aug 2019
    Jobovc, FunkyGibbon, TNT and 3 others like this.
  2. DelacoursLangur

DelacoursLangur Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Best of luck! Take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I would suggest narrowing your focus on a certain group of species, or a certain region of the world. Generally I find the best small zoological institutions are those which focus on a certain aspect, for example a reptile zoo, or a bird zoo like Walsrode.

Sounds like a great project, cant wait to hear how it goes!

3. SimonBio

SimonBio Member

Hi, thank you for those kind words. Yes, we will focus on reptiles, amphibians, insects, spiders, small birds and mammals ... and other smaller animals. With this diversity I want to replicate not only an ecosystem but also explane the evolution and adaptation of different species to the environment, a food chains and webs in specific environment, and orher laws of ecology, animal and plant system and preserving nature in the future based on knowledge.
    At first I was thinking about name like a Butterfly house, Tropical house, Reptile house but then I went deeper and my biological mind didn't allow me to put this king of name. :D
    I still have to think about this. Generaly now I already breed all this species and for now the insects are the biggest group in my collection.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2019