Join our zoo community

Berlin Tierpark New plans for Berlin Tierpark

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Animal, 30 Sep 2014.

1. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Because I did not find the link around here, there are some first impressions to be found of what changes at Tierpark will happen.
    It includes the show-arena, the entrance, playgrounds and the Alfred-Brehm-Haus, once the biggest carnivore house in the world with a tropical hall in the middle:

http://www.parlament-berlin.de/ados/17/Haupt/vorgang/h17-1628-v.pdf

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

To summarise what I suspect will be the development of most interest to Anglophone zoochatters, the Alfred-Brehm is to be gutted and focused on Indonesian wildlife, with a Balinese theme. Tomistoma and Komodo Dragon will be kept in the central hall, with most of the inner tanks and aviaries converted to terrariums and the internal animal enclosures largely rendered offshow. Also, the number of enclosures will be reduced through merging and consolidation of existing enclosures.

At a guess, the carnivore species in the house will be reduced to as few as four or five: Binturong, Sumatran Tiger, Palawan Leopard Cat, Javan Leopard and possibly Fishing Cat or Malayan Civet.

3. Animal

Key element will be two huge indoors for tigers (larger than the outdoors now) and a massive outdoor-enclosure.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Its sounds a nice plan,just a pity that we will lose a very iconic House as a result!!

5. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It looks good but I have to say I liked the large range of species! What species will be lost?

6. Animal

It is not clear yet what will be gone and what will be just moved around in the park. But better few species in good conditions than many species in not that good conditions.