Join our zoo community

Highland Wildlife Park New Polar Bear Arrives This Week

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Peter Dickinson, 4 Nov 2010.

1. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

2. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Great news lets hope we have more good news in the future

3. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

This might only be the beginning of Polar Bears returning to the UK; CAPS and Born Free and the like cannot play the "Not-enough-space" here; HWP is huge and I look forward to see it next year.

Even if places like Bristol and London won't have space to take in this species again, Britain has loads of regional zoos with ample space available. Over in France are several regional zoos and safari parks with this species; I don't see why Britain would have to be different, provided the animals are available, which at least in America is a major problem. Some of the zoos with brand new and expensive exhibits over there found it very difficult to obtain as much as one animal.

4. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I agree, I hope it will mark the beginning of a new era in polar bear husbandry in the United Kingdom.

I hope it will show that excellent enclosures can be built which have international acclaim and meet the needs of the animals without costing millions and millions of pounds to build.

Several facilites have the space available as has been discussed in the past on this website.

5. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

I really hope space isn't the only criteria allowing zoological collections to expand with this species in the UK again. Climate is a huge part of what makes HWP such an outstanding location for polar bears.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Quite of few out-of-town collections like Dartmoor and YWP could house polar bears in perfect themed habitats. :)

7. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The facebook page shows that Walker arrived last night. :)

8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

This really is one of my favourite pieces of zoo news all year. How long has it been since the UK Polar Bear population increased?

9. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

There was an article about him (and Mercedes) on Five News a short time ago. It looked like Mercedes had a bit of a shock when she saw him through the fence for the first time :D

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Probably about sixty years?

11. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

12. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Good on the HWP for going into Polar bears if zoos like that can give them the space thats wonderful, if any other UK zoo can match what the HWP has given them it's great

13. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When it comes to space, i think the only place that could match would be Whipsnade

14. Shirokuma

How about Port Lympne? Or the safari parks which appear to ambitions to diversify their collections? Also Yorkshire Wildlife Park, maybe even Marwell?

15. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

When I think back to how tiny the old Polar bear exhibit was at Whipsnade and how much room they could of given them then :eek:.

Also they were living on 100% concrete all the time with only a very tiny pool, glad to see those days in the UK are now gone for them the HWP is the way to go :cool:

16. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

What fantastic news for all us polar bear fans!
    It would be nice to think that other collections would follow HWPs lead here. No doubt Walker's progress at the park will be followed keenly. Who knows, maybe one day, Whipsnade would again have polar bears, in an area that does justice to the species.

17. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

18. Pertinax

Mercedes seemed singularly unimpressed at her first sight of another bear for many years...

19. Shirokuma

Does anyone know when a polar bear was last brought to the UK from abroad?

20. Pertinax

Interesting question.

Mercedes was imported from Churchill(Canada)- date? 1984?

Before her I can only think of the ones that were received at London circa 1960's- I believe at least one of their pairs were a gift from Russia.

Some of the earlier ones at the other zoos that kept them (Chester, Dudley, Flamingo Park, Chessington, Bristol, (London), Whipsnade, Edinburgh etc) were probably imported but then produced cubs at least occassionally, so there was no need for anywhere much to further import Polar Bears.