Join our zoo community

Recife Zoo New population plan at Recife zoo

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by David Matos Mendes, 14 Apr 2021.

1. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Oh yes, you mention those (except for the spoonbill, the sambars, the waterbucks and the blue-throated) because they are not from the biomes the zoo is going to represent, right? Good that you added these.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2021
  2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

The capuchins are from the Caatinga so they will probably be staying in Recife.

3. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Not actually; I just named some which I remembered. I also forgot to add the great curassows to the list.

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  4. David Matos Mendes

Well, so why would they be leaving the zoo?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. David Matos Mendes

Well remembered. I thought it was another species of capuchin that he mentioned, once I thought he was listing native species that are not from the biomes the zoo will embrace.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I think that there are several primate and mammal species which could potentially kept at the zoo from the Caatinga, Atlantic rainforest and Pernambuco interior and coastal forests apart from the ones already listed being at the zoo, some that come to mind are :

Blonde capuchin

Red handed howler monkey

Brazilian three banded armadillo

Some bird species from these habitats could be :

Buff-breasted tody-tyrant

White-winged cotinga

Seven-colored tanager

Yellow-faced siskin

Alagaos currasow (Not from Pernambuco but from a neighbouring State so why not ?)

I think the species I really think should have a place there though should be the blonde capuchin , I think that would be an excellent fit with the zoo.

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

8. David Matos Mendes

Argh! I don't know why, but I always surprise myself with Pedro's declarations... :eek:

9. arafan

arafan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've just found this presentation about the news plans:
    I'm entirely sure what to think about it, as it's always good to focus on native species (and Recife is among the best in Northeast Brazil in this case). On the other hand, I still think that zoos should show some exotic species too, it was definitely very important for my education, as I had a lot of very special moments in zoos (and I don't think would be this interested in nature if I wouldn't have had them). Anyway, I really hope that I will be able to visit the zoo before the work starts.

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing this @arafan ! Very interesting !

Are you based in the North-East ?

David Matos Mendes and arafan like this.
  11. arafan

I am! Currently I live in Natal

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I see, and would you say that Recife zoo is the major zoo of the North-East ?

13. arafan

I actually don't know the zoo of Salvador (which is said to be the best) but comparing Recife to the others, I definitely like it the most. It's far from perfect, but the species choice is really good (they already have a lot of native species, including the golden capuchins you've mentioned, but also red-handed howlers and also some rescued three-toed sloths) and also most of the exhibits are absolutely fine, even though they are far away from amazing and some really outdated ones too (specially the one for brown bears). But comparing it to João Pessoa, Fortaleza and Natal, which mostly have new exhibits, I really like it. Hopefully the park will receive some major investments too.

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Wow !

So Recife already have the golden capuchin ? how many do they have ?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. arafan

Honestly, I don't remember. My last visit is about three years ago. But they had some breeding success in the last few years. João Pessoa also had at least one group two years ago and there are several individuals (and even some breeding is occurring) on the CETAS in the Northeast, although most of them are seen as hybrids, which makes it impossible to release them back in the wild.
    I've had the luck to see some wild blonde capuchins, they frequently use the sugarcane plantations to obtain some nutrients. Definitely not the best thing to do, but I think you know about the fragmentation of the of the Pernambuco endemism center (the situation is getting better, but it's still very far from good).

16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

No problem, I'm just happy to hear that they both have this species and that they have had some breeding success with it too, that is awesome !

Wow ! You are very lucky ! :D I would love to see this species in the wild one day although it is very sad to hear that they are forced to obtain nutrients through crop raiding.

Yes, indeed, the fragmentation of the Pernambuco endemism center is really very bad but as you say there are conservationists working very hard to try to reverse the situation.

17. Callado

Callado Member

Reall cool to learn about this new direction of the Recife Zoo. I visited the place way before the pandemic and I was happy to see a lot of cool species, but at the same time I was surprised by how poot he zoo looked. Even compared to Bica (João Pessoa), which is definetely smaller