Join our zoo community

New Potential State Bird For Florida

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Sarus Crane, 7 Nov 2021.

?

Which new species should become the Florida State Bird??

Poll closed 21 Nov 2021.
  1. American Flamingo

12.9%
  2. Roseate Spoonbill

29.0%
  3. White Ibis

6.5%
  4. Wood Stork

6.5%
  5. Osprey

9.7%
  6. Swallow-Tailed Kite

3.2%
  7. Florida Scrub Jay

32.3%
  1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A new debate has come up to possibly replace the Northern Mockingbird as Florida's official state bird. I think this is a great idea. Florida has several iconic birds which are more suited to be it. More here:

The flamingo is in the running to replace the mockingbird as Florida's state bird

I voted for the Roseate Spoonbill because of their color and because they have a distributed presence in the state and can be seen from St. Augustine to Miami. My second choice was the Florida Scrub Jay. I wanted to vote for the flamingo, but its numbers are so low, and has a long time to get back to where it was 200 years ago in its distribution in the state.

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really think the scrub-jay is the best pick. Florida's only endemic bird, it makes all the sense in the world! I like the idea of American Flamingo too, in the hopes that having it at the state bird would kickstart reintroduction efforts.

3. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I originally picked Wood stork as storks are some of my favorite birds, but I am going to change it to Florida scrub jay. I have seen Florida scrub jays in Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Martin County, Florida. They were fascinating birds! Jonathan Dickinson State Park was also where I saw my first wild Gopher tortoises.

Coelacanth18 and Sarus Crane like this.
  4. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

i like the spoonbill, but the mockingbird is so prominent and easy to see I think it's more fitting.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  5. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The mockingbird is state bird for a lot of other states too, though. I'm glad Florida is going to try for something more unique. All of the states that have Northern Cardinal as their state bird should consider following suit.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  6. birdsandbats

And American Robin, which is the state bird of Wisconsin and several others as well. If I were to change Wisconsin's state bird, I would make it the Sandhill Crane.

7. UngulateNerd92

I do think every state should have a different state bird.

Birdsage and birdsandbats like this.
  8. birdsandbats

I agree.

Michigan also has the American Robin as their state bird, and there's currently a bill going through to change it to Kirtland's Warbler. I think that's a great idea.

UngulateNerd92 likes this.
  9. UngulateNerd92

The Kirtland's warbler would be a great state bird!

If you can and are willing, tell me what you think the state bird of every state should be?

10. birdsandbats

I don't fell like I know every state well enough to pick a state bird. Every one I've thought about needing a change I've already mentioned here.

11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

I voted for the flamingo. While I think spoonbill is the better choice overall based on the state coverage it has, too many people think it is a flamingo as it is. You have no idea how many times I heard people call them that at Zoo Tampa when I volunteered there in the aviary. And at ZT they are in habitats right next to one another - there is no way to confuse the two. That and no other state can really claim it as their bird.

Sarus Crane and Austin the Sengi like this.
  12. Dr Bright N04

Dr Bright N04 Well-Known Member

Fun fact: Florida school children tried to change Florida's state bird twice. Once with the scurb jay, once for the osprey. But one woman, Marion Hammer, stood up for the mockingbird and that's what congress aggreged to keep it.

SwampDonkey likes this.