Join our zoo community

New puma at Exmoor Zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by tigger, 26 Oct 2009.

Tags:
  1. tigger

tigger Member

Was at Exmoor Zoo today and apparantly their new puma is the one that was in quarantine at Dartmoor Zoo.

Did anyone know this was happening and why?

2. HuxleyPig

HuxleyPig Well-Known Member

Oooh, very interesting. I wonder where it's been placed. When I was there, I was told there was a plan to move the Maned Wolves nearer to the Cheetahs, and then Hyenas in where the Maned Wolves were. I wonder if they've replaced the Hyenas in the plans.

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some zoo's are not licenced to import animals from oversea's. If he/she has come into this country and needs to be quarentiened then some zoo's will partner up to import the animal. The animal will be imported by the licenced zoo and quarentied at there zoo. Once the quarenteine period is over the animal can then be sent on to the original zoo. Manor House Wildlife Park did a similar thing with the import of there new Siamang from Ireland. She was quarentined at Twycross Zoo before being sent on to Manor House.

4. Sengi

Sengi Member

Thats great news about the puma! Exmoor is a great little zoo! I was wondering what species of hyena it will be?

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

It was moved I believe because the only place it could be held at Dartmoor was off-show and they had no plans to build a new enclosure for it to put it on show.

6. UKZooMan

UKZooMan New Member

I had a very interesting chat with Benjamin Mee about this puma a couple of months ago.
    The puma came from another UK collection - I think Cromer, but I can't really remember, and therefore was not in quarantine (either for Dartmoor or for Exmoor).
    Benjamin wanted a puma, as he believes there are many wild pumas still in the area. He planned on building a "state of the art" "double-decker" puma enclosure, with the zoo's puma on the upper level and would lure wild pumas into the lower level enclosure and trap them.
    (Un)fortunately the zoo cannot afford to build this crazy contraption and the poor animal spent a very long time in an inadequate off-show enclosure before being sent to the delightful Exmoor Zoo, where it can be cared for properly.

7. hantslad

hantslad Well-Known Member

Puma

I was unawear that cromer was still going throught it had closed down long time ago,or is there a new Cromer zoo opened?

8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, it re-opened.

9. zoogiraffe

Its a new zoo which opened a few years ago called Amazona Zoo.

10. hantslad

Cromer

Ok ty is it on the site of the old ZOO, or on a new site anyone any idea the people or person who owns or runs it ?

11. zoogiraffe

No it`s not on the site of the old zoo,as for the owner it`s owned by Ken Simms who also owns and runs Thrigby Hall Wildlife Gardens.

12. hantslad

Cromer

Ok ty good 2 see an experienced person running the collection, did manage 2 look at the website looks like a good collection