Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo New species at Chester

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Writhedhornbill, 21 Apr 2007.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

No, I think they have had 2 young. Both of Which are Chang's from Chester.

Thi used to know Birma as they were imported together. Birma had not seen another elephant for about 15 years before coming to Chester. Sad, The zoo in France that she came from didn't have the facilities to expand her herd.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, I know Twycross had two calves. What I meant was they only bred the two females once...

Interesting about Thi and Birma having known each other in the past, but could they possibly remember that long ago- I doubt it. Zoo Mauberge where Birma came from have received two non-breeding older females in return for letting her go to Chester.

3. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If they were friends that time they should be able to remember each other. Elephants can recognize bonded individuals after longer times of seperation! But when they had no close contact in Burma and on the journey, then certainly not. I am glad that Birma`s integration seems to make progress.

I have no idea if Twycross ever intended to aquire a bull - probably not or they had started construction of a bull barn years ago. It`s a shame. However after what I know about elephants, integrating two bonded groups is far more difficult then integrating just one individual - Rotterdam had to sent 3 females and their two calves to Port Lympne in 1999 because they didn`t come along with the original group. Cologne imported 5 adult females last year from Thailand and thankfully they are coming along with the original group now, but this is probably due to the fact that 3 of the 4 females from the original group were very submissive and docile. And even then there was some awful fighting for some days between the two matriarchs, which could have ended with bad injuries. Better not to take this risk.

Anyway, back to Chester - I love to hear Chester news since the website has so few informations about births, arrivals ect! Thanks to the members from the UK!

4. Writhedhornbill

You're welcome. My dad rang Penny today. The orang house opens this Saturday.

5. Pertinax

Regarding the Chester/Twycross elephants. I'm sure that nothing will ever happen beyond possibly sending a female or two to Chestrer again for mating. Its just wishful thinking on my part otherwise! And I'm not sure the Twycross facilities could handle a male elephant- but I do find it odd they have prime females with no male or breeding prospects. Is this another zoo that should really only keep older nonbreeders?

6. Pertinax

Yes, its a shame the bigger zoos only report the very most important births and arrivals(and rarely is a death heard about!) on their websites nowadays. One of the best UK zoo websites is the Cotswold Wildlife Park's- lots of good and detailed information though its only a small/medium sized collection.

7. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Quote from Yassa

Anyway, back to Chester - I love to hear Chester news since the website has so few informations about births, arrivals ect! Thanks to the members from the UK!

Sorry, I have to do it this way. My quote thing in the options section does not work.

Yassa I have a thread about Chester Zoo births for this year. Writhedhornbill covered most of the arrivals in his thread.

The Chester Zoo website is useless for animal information. Very disappointing from a zoo which regards itself as the best in the UK. A few years ago Pat Cade, the editor of the Zoo Magazine decided to stop publishing animal information, a strange decision for a zoo and one which I can't understand. Neither do the publish anything about arrivals and births in International Zoo News. A magazine which the pay for.

Arrivals for this yerar so far are

Reptiles
    Green Pricklenape 6*
    King Ratsnake 2.3

Birds
    Griffon Vulture 1.0
    Bobwhite Quail 0.1
    White-crested Turaco 0.2*
    Schalow's Turaco 0.1
    Blue-crowned Laughing Thrush 0.1
    Orange-headed Grouns Thrush 1.0

Mammals
    Lion-tailed Macaque 1.0
    Lar Gibbon unknown number
    Sumatran Tiger 1.0
    Indian Rhinoceros 1.0
    Negros Warty Pig 2.2*
    Common Warthog 1.0
    African Grass Rat 18
    Zebra Mouse 0.1*
    Striped Grass Mouse 5*
    Four-striped Grass Mouse 4*
    Tree Rat 8*

* denotes the species has not been exhibited at Chester Zoo previously

8. Writhedhornbill

Did the previous male warthog get crushed by a rhino, as that was what I was told?

Where are the king ratsnakes going?
    A question that has been puzzling Grantsmb and I is whether Patna is chester's previous indian rhino gaidi's son? Is Gaidi Patna's dad?

I just searched up white crested turacos on Google. They are a wonderful species. Where are they being kept presently and will a male be introduced?

9. Pertinax

I gave misinformation on the previous Indian rhino's name- he was in fact called YOHDA, not Gaidi. He was born at Whipsnade, later sent to Chester for a while and then finally to WEst Berlin- where i believe Patna was born.

10. Yassa

Patna was born in the Tierpark (= Animal Park) Berlin, not in the Zoo Berlin. These are two different zoos! Patna`s mother is Betty, born herself in the Tierpark in 1995. Betty`s mother is Jhansi and her father a male from San Diego, Jhansi was imported pregnant. Patna`s father is the male from the Tierpark, Belur. Betty injured Patna after birth (she stepped on his leg accidently) and a few days later he had to be removed for hand rearing because the wound could not heal with Betty constantly licking it. Betty became pregnant again immediately and gave birth to Saathi in 2005, father is again Belur.

Yodha now resides in the Zoo Berlin, but he has fathered one calf in the Tierpark who was born in the same year like Patna, in 2004 - Jakob. Jakob`s mother is Jhansi (Patna`s grandmother), and Jhansi does not come along with Belur. They hate each other. So she was shipped to the Zoo for mating and it worked. She was moved again to the Zoo a few months ago but this time she didn`t become pregnant, so I guess she has to travel again. Yodha is nevertheless becoming father again, female Narayani who lives with him in the Zoo is pregnant and due in some months.

Complicated story! Anyway, I am very happy Patna lives in a good zoo now.

11. Pertinax

I thought that Patna was handraised after being trodden on by his mother, so was right about that part. I had him in West Berlin, not East Berlin though! It is a very complicated story- the INdian rhinos in the two Berlin Zoos. I knew that Jahnsi and Belur do not get along- apparently Belur bites her during mating? so she was sent to be mated at West Berlin with Yohda.

Thanks for outlining the relationship of these rhinos.

12. Yassa

I don`t know what exactly happens when Belur and Jhansi are in one enclosure, but the director said to a newspaper some months ago that they would never ever let them together again after the very last try in 2006.

13. Pertinax

That's very interesting. I've read somewhere that some male Indian Rhinos in zoos are now genetically under represented because they are overly aggressive during mating- so the more gentle males have fathered more calves. In future its hoped the use of AI from the unrepresented males can remedy that.
    But this is a case where he(Belur) breeds with one female okay, but not the other....

14. Writhedhornbill

Does anyone know where the timor sparrows came from?

15. bongorob

Hard to say. ISIS only lists 12, of which 8 are at Chester. I could be silly and say Timor.

16. Writhedhornbill

They may have come from Walsrode. They aren't registered with ISIS.

17. Writhedhornbill

I've just found that Timor Sparrows are very common in aviculture and so Chester could have got it's 8 birds from a private breeder.

18. bongorob

Wow! that is amazing. I didn't know Timor Sparrows were even kept privately, let alone they were so common.

19. Pertinax

Are you sure that its not confusion with Java Sparrows? I'd never heard of Timor Sparrows before this post- let alone as common cagebirds...

20. Writhedhornbill

Well not common, but there is a small popualtion of them.