Join our zoo community

New species coming to Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Sunbear12, 22 Aug 2014.

1. Sunbear12

Sunbear12 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I couldn't think of a place to put some news I just found so thought I would create this thread where we can pool information on new species coming to Australia.

To start with I found an application to amend the import list so that African porcupines could be imported. You can read that here-http://www.environment.gov.au/system/files/pages/42a5b4f9-a9c0-4555-a450-3502e71f3dde/files/hystrix-africaeaustralis-draft-assessment.pdf

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

The question I have to ask is - Why?

I've seen a few porcupine exhibits in different zoos, and they tend to be rather boring. The animals are often active at night, and spend the day in a burrow (or box/shelter) during the day. They are not endangered or threatened, and they aren't a big drawcard for the general public. I'd rather they spent the effort on something a bit more conservation-worthy.

Just my 2 cents worth.

:p

Hix

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

crested porcupines are great!! When they are active. Actually the best way I've seen them displayed is in a nocturnal house at Auckland Zoo (I thought the enclosure itself was rather small for them -- it is the former kiwi house -- but it was brilliant seeing them active). They are good when they are getting fed too, then they are very active. I think all the NZ zoos with them have glassed sleeping areas so you can see them even when they are asleep, as opposed to them being out of sight in a box or a hole.

It is worth noting of course, that the draft assessment in the first post is just that, a draft assessment. It is still in the submission phase. I can't see it not being accepted, but as it is now it is not the same as being able to say: these are being imported. That'll be a-ways away yet.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I saw a pair of Capes when I was in Zimbabwe years ago, one night. I was on foot too, which made it all the more exhilarating as they were both rattling their quills and pointing their arses at me.

I agree, they're great when they're awake.

The ones I saw in Wellington were behind glass, and the reflections (and the uncleaned pane) resulted in a crappy view.

:p

Hix