Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park New tiger trails

Discussion in 'United States' started by kiang, 1 Dec 2008.

1. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Do you think they will still keep the suspension bridge? Anyone seen any site plans for Tiger Trails?

2. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is it just me, or did they remove some remarks about viewing the Asia Field exhibits and a picture of a view of the Asia Field exhibit from the exhibit renderings gallery on the Tiger Trails Site? I swear I saw one after the binturong picture.... It had a species of Deer with an Indian Rhino and part of the viewing area that guests can view from.

3. Otter Lord

The new ZOONOOZ says that the tiger trails will take place from the old monorail tracks and before the new exhibit there will be a place to view the African Elephants.

4. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How are the plans going on for this exhibit.Has construction commenced. Do we have a possible opening date.

5. djaeon

djaeon Well-Known Member

They're currently working on redesigning it, so construction hasn't started yet. I don't know when that's slated to start.

6. Otter Lord

Wait, they are redesigning it? I know they haven't started construction but how do you know? I liked the plans posted on the website, and I hope they haven't ditched their master plan.

On a different light, the latest ZooNooz has announced that new bird exhibits are now part of the Journey into Africa ride. From the magazine, it seems there are about 4 new exhibits. The flamingo flock and a marsh with yellow-billed storks, Egyptian geese, goliath herons, and wattled cranes are the first two. The third is a scrub land around the marsh with southern ground hornbills, western Rueppell's vultures, and lappet-faced vultures. Then a wooded shrubland with Soemmerring's Gazelles. It also asked for donations for the Mountain Zebra, kopje, and avian watering hole exhibits. There was a plan to add 8 new exhibits, but this only accounts for 7. It seems the one that is left out is the Somalian Wild Ass exhibit, which I hope they still build. I'm going to have to ride JiA again to catch these new exhibits though.

7. Otter Lord

I got mail from the society asking for donations toward the new Tiger exhibit. In the letter, it included some information about the new area. I'll give you guys the basic summary because it sounds pretty good, like it will match the Tiger exhibit in quality. The plants are "to build an extraordinary; one-of-a-kind, forested exhibit complex featuring a waterfall; lush, tree-filled landscape; and three exciting viewing enclosures where you will be able to see tigers up close like never before."

The rest is also in the letter.
    Sounds nice, especially the sailfin lizards. They're an amazing species. I hope they still keep the rhinoceros hornbill, storks, and the binturong though.

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the update! Since I am an out of state member, I assume I will get the same letter in a couple days.

As for dholes being near them, the current (June) ZooNooz has a feature article about the dholes at WAP. It talks about their litter of pups, their personalities, and how shy they are and nervous about the slightest changes. It mentions they are kept in an off exhibit area and there is NO MENTION WHATSOEVER about putting them on exhibit. Since the article says keepers were surprised at how sensitive they are to the slightest change in their exhibit, my guess is that they originally planned to put them on exhibit in the old huge lion yard (as indicated on the maps), but later decided it would be too stressful. Mind you, this is just a guess.

9. Otter Lord

I think another SD local said that the dholes would eventually go into the exhibit. Though, I think they should remove some of the cactus and give it a renovations for it first. I read the same article, maybe this is a prelude to their new exhibit? The pictures of them were very stunning, they're a great animal. My guess is that they want to put the Tiger's into the old lion enclosure first as they construct this new tiger exhibit because it will probably run into their current exhibit.

10. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Anybody hear any recent news on this project?

11. djaeon

djaeon Well-Known Member

The redesign is done. They're currently fund-raising for the exhibit:

San Diego Zoo

12. Arizona Docent

Excellent link Djaeon, thank you. If I am picturing it correctly, it will be located where the (seldom used) picnic area below the path is now (the one on the way to the old lion overlook)?

13. djaeon

djaeon Well-Known Member

In that general area, yes. The whole exhibit is supposed to start around the conifer forest area.

14. Ituri

Thanks for the update and link.

So is the idea of using the old monorail bridge as a pathway to an Asian Plains overlook no longer being considered?

15. Otter Lord

Strange, but I haven't thought of this now. With three habitats are they going to display the Sumatran tigers along with other subspecies? Or keep the Sumatrans only?

16. Ituri

Visited the San Diego Zoo's website today and discovered some new concept art and updated details about the exhibit.
    San Diego Zoo

17. Otter Lord

Cool concept drawings, I was hoping that the waterfall view would be a bit less of a pit view. As for ranking, I'd say it looks better than Tiger River but not as good as Lion Camp. Some of the views seem like you will be able to see other viewing areas. Certainly looks forested though.

18. Arizona Docent

There is a very short article on it in the new issue of ZooNooz. Nothing new in there that has not already been stated on this thread.

It is interesting, as someone noted already, they have dropped any mention of the old monorail bridge. It seems as if the site plan was moved further away from there to put it closer to Nairobi Village. Probably makes sense to have a major attraction closer to the entrance, but too bad there is still no viewing of the Asian field exhibit since the monorail was taken out.

As a cat guy, of course I love the idea of three different tiger exhibits. Someone asked if they will house different subspecies, but I am virtually certain it will be 100% sumatrans. (The zoo, on the other hand, has malayan). The article only mentions sumatran and it makes sense from a breeding standpoint to be able to house a large group of one kind (including the occasional cubs).

It will be interesting to see what they do with the old tiger exhibit (or maybe it will just stay empty for years as the old lion exhibit has been).

There is no timeline mentioned in the article, but the fact that they put it in ZooNooz now seems to indicate they are about to start construction.

19. Otter Lord

According to some of the plans on Alexor designs, the tiger exhibit was supposed to be in the place of the old tiger exhibit. Its not the exact same spot but it is nearby and that whole part of the zoo is the main focus of many future developments. Anyone read in the Director's message at the beginning of the Tortoise issue where it mentioned that there would be many developments at the park?

I noticed the drop with the bridge discussion, my bet is that they take it down completely because there is no use for it right now. I hope they somehow still manage to put dholes on display around there though. Mention of an Asia overlook of the field exhibits was also dropped with the early information about tiger trails. Disappointed about that.

Also as for a guess of the old tiger exhibit. The Asia tour is supposed to be behind that area, so I think they may incorporate that into the Asia tour starting area, probably similar to Simba station. The reason why the Asia tour has not come about yet is because the JiA exhibits were taking too long too complete.

20. Arizona Docent

Can anyone out there in San Diego tell us if they have started construction? If so, can you post some photos?