Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo New Tigeress for Hamilton

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Connor91, 15 Mar 2010.

1. Connor91

Connor91 Well-Known Member

Hamilton are receiving a new sumatran tigeress this year. She will be bred with their male Jaka who was born in 2000 at Wellington Zoo.

I assume the female will be coming from either Dreamworld Australia or overseas.

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This must be the mystery female who we all thought was going to Wellington Zoo. I'm almost sure she will be Isha (born in the last litter at Melbourne Zoo) she is currently with her brother at Taronga Western Plains.

Are they keeping Mencari as well or is she going elsewhere?

Thrilled by this news btw! :D :D

3. Connor91

Isha sure is a mystery, nobody seems to know where she is going!

Isha will not be going to Wellington or Hamilton Zoo as their male tigers, Rokan and Jaka, are her second cousins.

Dreamworld has just sent their tiger Indah to Western Plains Zoo so perhaps its her, unless she's being bred with Satu (Isha's three year old brother).

Did you know Isha has four more siblings? Binjai gave birth a couple of weeks ago to four cubs. :D

4. Nisha

I can only think that Isha will go to Orana Park then. They have 2:0 born at Taronga in 2003. If they move 1:0 on that creates space for her.

Unless Hamilton have decided to ignore the relation and breed with Jaka anyway?

But if Isha doesn't go to Hamilton then who is the new mate for Jaka?

As for the 0:2 at Dreamworld, Indah has already gone to TWPZ as a partner for Isha's brother Satu and her sister Rhani will join Mencari and Jaka's cousin Berani (born September 2000 at Perth) at the National Zoo in Canberra.

5. Connor91

Added Chaos

Orana's males are Isha's first cousins (their father is Isha's fathers brother!) so that woudl be even worse. I've sent hamilton Zoo an email asking about their new tigeress and am just waiting for a reply.

6. Connor91

Sorry also forgot to add, Dreamworld has two year old triplets (Indah and Rahni's youner siblings), perhaps one of them will be going to Hamilton?

7. Nisha

So basically all Sumatran Tigers in NZ are related to Isha? So unless a new import can be arranged she will be breeding with her extended family!?

I thought the latest litter at Dreamworld were handreared for Educational Purposes or am I thinking of the wrong litter?

8. Connor91

I hope they plan to breed with Dreamworl'd latest litter or that would be a waste of three very good tigers. Their parents Soroya and Raja are completely unrelated to Australasia's tigers so any cubs they produce are very valuble!

Yeah, Isha's pretty much related to everyone! Her line started from Nico and Meta who produced twin males in 1988. Jambi came to NZ and started New Zealand's line of tigers while Shiva started Austrlia's line including Isha (his grandaughter).

9. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Don't forget that Australia Zoo has three tiger siblings that are completely unrelated to any other togers in captivity in the world. They are wild born animals from Indonesia. They are certainly old enough now to be bred. My fear is that they will all be bred into the Nico/Meta line, which is the main line in Aust/NZ. All the NZ tigers are descended from Nico/Meta. (or mated to descendants)

10. Connor91

I hope not too. At least some should be bred to Dreamworld's cubs or to the offspring of Tuan and Assiqua at Adelaide since both these animals are from overseas. Assiqua has already been mated to Juara but her cubs with Tuan will be very valuable.

11. Nisha

I had a brainwave after I logged off yesterday. Can't believe we didn't realise this before!

There is one tiger in NZ that is unrelated to that bloodline! Oz at Auckland.

If Auckland transfer there current 2:1 cubs to Australia and then re-locate Molek back to Hamilton (giving Hamilton the new tigeress although she can't be bred with the male as he is her brother) Then Isha can be moved to Auckland as a new mate for Oz.

Perfect solution all round!

12. Connor91

That would make sense since Auckland Zoo does not plan to breed Molek with Oz again. The only thing that confuses me is the news said they would be getting a mate for Jaka.:confused:

13. Nisha

Not sure how many they can house but if Hamilton can take 1:3 then they could have Molek back and re-intergrete her with Mencari. (They were close and Molek spent months pining for Mencari after she was sent to Auckland so putting them back together shouldn't be a problem) Then they import an unreleated female as a mate for Jaka. They alternate the outdoor exibit between the two groups and everyone is happy!

14. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Isha is definately going to New Zealand. Indah will be bred with Satu.

15. Jarkari

I believe there may be another Indonesian born Tiger entering the region in the next 12 months also.

16. Connor91

Unfortuantely Hamilton currently doesn't have the facilites to hold many tigers. Mencari and Jaka rotate dialy between the dens/cages and the outdoor enclosure.

Not being an expert on tiger psychology I couldn't predict how a re introduction of Molek and Mencari would work but Jaka couldn't be housed full time with his new mate as she would become defensive of her cubs when they are born and he may be a threat to them.

I believe Orana has three to four tiger enclosures so perhaps some could go there eg. Molek, Mencari and Cinta.

Anyone know any details on this new tiger from Indonesia?

17. Jarkari

I said there MAY be a new indonesian tiger. It was something a keeper said during a public feed and talk. Doubt there would be many if any people on thwe forum that would know much.

18. Nisha

In that case she must be going to Auckland unless Wellington, Hamilton or Orana can relocate at least one of their current cats and import a new male.

If Molek can't go back to Hamilton (for whatever reason) then this could really throw a spanner in the works.....

19. Nisha

Cinta will going with Jalur to Symbio WP later this year.

Just had reply to an Email I sent to Auckland Zoo with regards to where Berani will eventually be relocated too and it turns out they are planning to hold on to him for the forseeable future!

As discussed earlier in the thread Berani and Isha are related so they can't breed. So unless Isha can share an exibit with Oz and Berani with Molek (if she stays at Auckland) then Auckland won't have room to take her!

If that's the case then every Sumatran Tiger holding zoo in NZ is full!

Last edited: 18 Mar 2010
  20. Connor91

I think the best solution is to relocate Molek and Berani to Orana Park who have four enclosures. Mencari can join them and be hosued in the third enclosure while the fourth is kept free for any separations needed down the line eg. a bust up between Molek and Berani.

This will leave Auckland with the space to import Isha who can breed with Oz. Hamilton will be left with their male Jaka who can be bred with the female they're bringing in (posssibly from Indonesia?)

Wellington will be left with their two tigers who are getting quite old. Both are no longer being considered for breeding. If one or both pass away in the next five years, this will free up more space for relocations of cubs from the Oz and Isha pairing (if the cubs aren't sent overseas).