Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo New tigeress planned at Wellington Zoo

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Nisha, 7 Jul 2009.

Tags:
  1. lionboy

lionboy Well-Known Member

wow cool thanks heaps axi how do i get one of those posters and do u no any info about trixie and victor (old lions at auckland zoo)

2. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Sorry Jakari, I'll just reply to this last question :cool:

I emailed Paradise Valley and they sent the poster to me. I'm afraid I don't know much about Trixie and Victor but I do know they produced many cubs while at the Auckland Zoo. There's a link to an article about them in the old newspaper articles thread. As far as I'm aware, Auckland Zoo's last lions in the lion pits were Sam, Jade and Ruby.

3. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Back on the new tigeress for Wellington Zoo, when I emailed the zoo last, I was told by one of the keepers they are hpoing to import an unrelated breeding pair, similar to what they did in the 1990s with Jambi and Cantik. With Cantik and Rokan expected to live up to five years more, one of these cubs could be from Hamilton if they receive their tigeress soon as planned. This would be fitting since the cub would be Jambi and Cantik's grandchild.

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hamilton have recently spayed the female (Mencari) and are waiting to be assigned a breeding pair, possibly one half of this pair being Jaka. Ideally both Hamilton and Wellington need to both import 1:1 from Europe or preferably the USA (due to the majority of recent imported being European bred) If either of them can import a suitable female and then possibly have Oz from Auckland (he's doing little good up there atm) or Hari from Cairns then that's them sorted. Then all we need is another 1:1 to create two unrelated pairs

5. lionboy

speaking of what are the plans for ozz moleke and bernallie up at auckland
    \

6. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

I often think the running of the Sumatran tiger breeding programme should be handed over to zoochat :D

I think Oz (2004) should have been bred to either Binjai (2002) or Soroya (2002). I think the most logical way to proceed within New Zealand to send Molek and Berani to Orana Park and import Binjai to Auckland Zoo in mid 2011. Her 2010 cubs will be almost 18 months old by then. Introductions could be completed between Oz and Binjai with the hope of them producing cubs in 2012. If one of these cubs were male, they could be a suitable mate for Isha (at Western Plains) in 2016, she would then be 10 years old.

Hamilton Zoo should send Mencari to Orana Park and prodceed with plans to import a tigeress, a suitable candidate would be Jaya (2008) from Dreamworld Australia. One of their offspring should be the next breeding animal at Wellington Zoo following Cantic and Rokan's passing. The remaining offspring should be sent overseas.

The other two cubs at Dreamworld, Shanti and Ndari should be sent to Perth Zoo and Symbio Wildlife Park as mates for Jaya (2008) and Jalur (2008) respectively. Note: Jaya is a male cub born 2008 at Perth Zoo; Jaya is a female cub born 2008 at Dreamworld. While genetically Jaya (at Dreamworld) is no different to her sisters from the same litter, she should not be paired with the other Jaya as this would cause confusion.

7. Nisha

Sounds a decent plan. However my only concern would be Soroya, She originates from one of the most well represented bloodlines in Europe (Daughter of the late Morris at Berlin Tierpark) and although I haven't managed to get any details on Oz's parents as yet, I would be very suprised if Oz was not also related to this bloodline making them an imcompatible pair...

I would still reccommend that either Wellington or Hamilton import at least one new individual from the USA

Last edited: 22 Mar 2011
  8. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Okay thanks for that, I guess that means Soroya's daughters can't breed with Jalur either although one could still breed with Jalur's uncle Jaka at Hamilton.

The San Diego Zoo often has Sumatran tiger cubs although I'm not sure if they would be realted to many of our tigers because Taronga Zoo sent Jambi and Shiva's three sisters to San Diego during the 80s. One stayed there to breed and others were sent to other USA zoos so I'm not sure how represented the bloodline is over there.

9. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

I would further recommend that Cinta (born 2008) is transferred to Europe for breeding asap. Tenang who was sent to Paington Zoo in England has been bred many times and is their most valuable animal while his brother from the same litter has still not bred in Australasia. It is unlikely Cinta will be found a mate and will probably face a similar future to Mencari if she remains in Australasia.

10. lionboy

thay should import pi from dream world ( if he is a boy) and breed with cinta or any cubs born at wellington or just import a new males from uk and whats happining with jalour and what are the plans for bernallie

11. lionboy

u r right axi bernallie could go to oranna but cause he is nearly 3 he could become the new breeding male for wellington cause the cubs that might be born from auckland and hamilton means that rocan and chantic might not have passed yet so thay could go over seas yhr new cubs and bernallie could go there

12. Nisha

Tenang has been in the UK since 2002. Since then he has only been bred twice and now has 2:2 surviving offspring. (First litter 1:1 with 0:1 surviving and second litter 2:2 with 2:1 making it past 6 months) There is little point in Cinta coming to Europe due to the fact that Tenang and his offspring already represent Molek's side of the family over here and since Oz was European bred he also makes her less valuable to the EEP

13. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Rokan and Cantic are still alive and well. Cantic is 19 this year and Rokan is 15. While your idea about sending them overseas is a good one it is unlikely at their advanced age. It would cause them stress and it costs a lot. When I emailed them last there were no plans to do anything until they pass on.

Jalur is currently living with his sister Cinta at Symbio Wildlife Park, I would recommend Ndari (who is the same age) is imported this year as a mate for him so they can breed in 2012. There are currently no breeding plans for Berani so I would recommend he is sent to Orana with his moth Molek to free up space at Auckland so they can import Binjai later this year. :)

There is not the same rush to breed males as there is females because males can breed into old age whereas females are genrally not bred beyond 12 years of age. I hope they manage to breed Tuan and Assiqua at Adelaide Zoo soon.

14. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Pi is a hybrid between a sumatran (father) and 'bengal' (mother)

15. lionboy

would he be a goosmacht for cinta

16. Jabiru96

No as he is a hybrid and a mistake breeding. No hybrids in the region are or will be used in the Sumatran Tiger breeding program.

17. lionboy

oh ok who do u think will; go to wellington when chantic and rokan pass on will it be new cubs from e.g auckland zoos cubs
    hamilton zos cubs if thay breed or a ewhole new pear from ozzy

18. Jabiru96

Sorry, lol, I have no idea. All I think should happen and I have said previously a few times is that Oz breed with one of the Australia Zoo cubs if possible. Maybe another possible pairing could be Rhani at Dreamworld and Satu at Taronga at Wellington once their old pair pass away.

19. lionboy

ok cool
    thanks

20. Nisha

Been doing a little research into some of the individuals at San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park during the late 80's and early 90's during this I came across studbook details for Cantik (at Wellington). In the studbook she is listed as being named Toba so must of been renamed shortly after going to New Zealand. She was born in 1990 at Rotterdam Zoo (as previously stated) making her almost 20! The litter was 0:3 and her sisters went to the Czech Republic (Jilhava) unfortunatly I can't find any further info on them atm so I think we can assume that she is the last of her litter.

Morris looks to be unrelated to the Taronga line (thank goodness!). His mother was called Dara (studbook number 553) and born in Jakarta in 1983 before going to San Diego in 1985 and later San Antonio (two years after Morris was born in 87) sadly his sire is listed as being unknown so his full genetic history may never be clear.

I could only find details for two females sent from Taronga to San Diego. They were sisters from two seperate litters, both born in 1985 (I assume that there parents were Nico and Meta?)
    Kali - 7.9.85
    Usha - 12.3.85
    They left Taronga in July 1987 and both went on to breed successfully from 1989 onwards (both had cubs in 1989 and one of them also had 1:2 in 1991)