Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo New tigeress planned at Wellington Zoo

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Nisha, 7 Jul 2009.

Tags:
  1. lionboy

lionboy Well-Known Member

wow coo enytrysting info

2. lionboy

how did meta and nica die

3. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding that out, I've always been told that Cantic was born in 1992 and arrived at Wellington Zoo as a two year old in 1994 but you've got me interested now and I shall try and find out. I think Nico and Meta had another female cubs in 1983 but I'm not too sure.

The Honolulu Zoo is home to Djelita, one of Kali's duaghters born in 1991. For a while it listed a family tree for her including her mother Kali and her siblings but this has since been removed.

Jay is a good person to ask for info on Sumatran tigers, he is very knowledgeable and has done some great research on this topic.

Nico and Meta died quite young in 1990. They were 14 and 15 respectively. Their sons Jambi and Shiva died young too, aged 13 and 14 respectively although Jambi's death was accidental. These four tigers were involved in the death of a keeper in the 1988 when Shiva and Jambi were young cubs and Meta attacked the keeper. Shiva was involved in a second attack in 1997 but nobody was killed.

4. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The information I have about Cantik is that she was born on 15 Aug 1992 to Belle, and was transferred to Wellington on 20 Mar 1994.

5. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

That's what I heard. She was born at Arnhem Zoo in Holland.

6. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

I've found the site: http://www.honoluluzoo.org/Zookeepers_Journal/SumatranTiger_small.doc.

Kali was born at Taronga Zoo in Sydney Australia on the 7th September 1985. Her parents were Nico (1976) and Meta (1975), they were both from the Rotterdam Zoo and are related. Nico is Meta's half Uncle.

Kali was transferred to San Diego Zoo were she gave birth to Monique on the 5th March 1989, Durja and Maya on the 6th August 1989 and Djelita, Aneh and Besar on the 26th March 1991. Her mate was called Bantal and was born in 1978 at Berlin Tiger Park, Germany.

Coincindentally, the source of this information was written exactly ten years ago today. At the time, Kali was fifteen years old and still alive and well. Her only surviving offspring is Djelita who was 20 years old on Saturday.

7. lionboy

doe any 1 no who wellington zoos older tigers were befor jumbie and chantic

8. jones

jones Well-Known Member

seems i may be able to help with some confusion: just to clarify -
    "Cantik" was born 15 Aug 1992 like previously stated.
    "Toba" was a different animal. She was born at Rotterdam Zoo on 11 May 1990 and transferred to Wellington Zoo on (?date?). She died there on 16 May 1993.

9. Axl2011

Axl2011 Member

Was that as a result of a failed introduction between Jambi and Toba?

10. jones

jones Well-Known Member

Sorry Axl2011 - i am not sure how Toba died.

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for clearing that up. I assumed because of them both being Dutch bred and the timescale was roughly the same that they were the same individual :eek:

12. Axl2011

Axl2011 Member

I've just sent Wellington Zoo an email asking about Toba and their plans for Sumatran tigers in the future. I've heard rumours they're phasing them out but I'm not convinced. Two years ago they were planning to get more.

13. lionboy

u no that ight be true thay might put snow lpards in there enclouser i haeard thay were looking at getting snow leapords on an artical

14. Chimo

Chimo Well-Known Member

The good tigeress Cantic turns 21 next month and as of last week is still alive and well. The Wellington Zoo plan to continue with the sumatran tiger breeding programme and have recently completed renovations to the existing exhibit. The zoo is also home to her son, Rokan, born in 1996. I anticipate neither animal will be relocated due their age but following Cantic's death, a new pair may be imported with the intention of breeding in the future. The zoo may choose to do this by importing a male intially (to house seperate from Rokan of course) and then arrange and import a suitable female when Rokan passes away. Many zoo's do this as a male can breed until old age (eg. Ramalon at Australia Zoo) and can wait many years for a female to arrive (eg. Berani at the Australia National Zoo).

15. Chimo

Chimo Well-Known Member

I think the next few years will be interesting in terms of progress with New Zealand's sumatran tigers. Ideally Oz would move down from Auckland Zoo to be paired with Sali at Hamilton Zoo sooner rather than later and Hamilton Zoo's male Jaka move up to Auckland Zoo to take OZ's place. The cubs could stay at Hamilton until Cantik's death and then move to Wellington. One could then stay there for breeding while the other cub/s could be relocated to Orana Wildlife Park or go overseas.

Auckland Zoo (Two Enclosures): Retain female Molek (2000) and son Berani (2008) in enclosure one, import Jaka (2000) from Hamilton Zoo and exhibit in enclosure two.

Hamilton Zoo (Two Enclosures): Export male Jaka (2000) to Auckland Zoo, retain female Mencari (2000) and female Sali (2008). Import male Oz (2004) from Auckland Zoo and breed with Sali 2013/2014. House Sali in enclosure two and rotate Mencari/Oz in enclosure one.

Wellington Zoo (Two Enclosures): Retain female Cantic (1992) and male Rokan (1996). Import cubs from Hamilton Zoo to take the place of Cantic in 2015/2016.

Orana Wildlife Park (Four enclosures): Retain males Sendai and Dumai (2003) in enclosure one. Import Jaya (2008) from Dreamworld, Australia in late 2013 and house in enclosure two. Breed Jaya with Dumai in 2014 and use the remaining two enclosures to accomadate cubs.

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

just to be clear, is all the above just you making stuff up?

17. Chimo

Chimo Well-Known Member

The best thing about this plan is that it allows for the housing of the Oz/Sali cubs if space overseas does not become directly available. First time mothers typically have one to three cubs (as oppose to four cubs) so arrangments for placings will be easier. It will be interesting to see how Australia handle the placing of Melbourne's quadruplets, born in 2010. It is good to see surplus tigers, especially females, being sent to Europe eg. Melati (2008): Perth Zoo to London, Isha (2006): Melbourne Zoo/TWPZ to France. The ideal sitaution would be for NZ born cubs to be sent overseas as they are greatly received, Tenang (2000) from Perth Zoo is the number one ranked breeding male in Europe.

18. Chimo

Chimo Well-Known Member

Whether this is intentional or not, it has been good to see a rotation between the zoo's of housing the breeding pair. A documentary discussing the death of Wellington Zoo's breeding male Jambi in 2001 stated it may have been an option to breed him once more with Cantic, while an earlier report stated importing an unrealted male to breed with Cantic was a more desirable option as she represents the European line while Jambi represents the already saturated Australasian line. This plan was obviosly overuled by the time of Jambi's death as this would have been the time to import a new breeding male. Instead the torch was passed to Jambi and Cantic's daughter at the Auckland Zoo and will now be carried on by their great grandaughter Sali at Hamilton Zoo and their great nephew Dumai at Orana Wildlife Park.