Join our zoo community

New to Zoochat

Discussion in 'United States' started by bowie, 3 Mar 2012.

1. bowie

bowie Active Member

I very nice gentleman at the Dallas zoo told me about zoochat about a month ago. Now I spend way too much time enjoying every post that I can fine time to read. I just finished reading the wonderful reviews of the Texas zoos. I would like to say that I have been going to the Fort Worth zoo for about 60 years. I have seen animals there that I haven't seen anywhere else. But...my problem with the zoo is in their planning. Over the years I have seen at least three hippo exhibits. None have been very good. The giraffes also have been moved three times. The great apes have always been lacking a good exhibit. As for birds, I am sure most of you know that the bird house burned several years ago. I still enjoy the zoo, but I think that Dallas is finally catching up and maybe passing Fort Worth. Just my opinion. I can find something to enjoy at almost every zoo.

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome to ZooChat Bowie.

What are your favorite zoos in Texas? I have only visited the Houston Zoo there so far, but Dallas is high on my list of zoos to visit. People here have also glowingly reviewed Cameron Park Zoo.

3. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Welcome to ZooChat, bowie. Did you say 60 years!? With that much experience, maybe you can provide some of us the earlier history of the Fort Worth Zoo. :) And, unfortunately, yes, I think Dallas has just about surpassed Fort Worth...

4. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum from over the pond :O)

I love the fact that on here you can read and discuss wildlife and zoos with people from all over the world - very handy for trip planning :O)

5. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I think I might know a few people in the area who would love to talk zoo history with you.

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cameron Park is quite good and Caldwell Zoo (in Tyler) is far beyond what you would expect from a small town like that. Though some on this forum do not like Fort Worth, I like it a lot and when I first visited Dallas and Fort Worth a decade ago, Fort Worth was the better of the two. But yes, Dallas has now surpassed it. Houston is quite good also. San Antonio is mediocre, but a must-see if you like hippos. (And that city's Riverwalk is the nicest downtown walking/dining experience in the United States). Gladys Porter Zoo is also mediocre, but if you want to get the only chance to see a jentink's duiker before the last one in the zoo world (and I mean world) dies, make a trip there ASAP.

7. bowie

bowie Active Member

I would enjoy talking Fort Worth zoo history. I go way back to when the snakes were all in a pit and for 15 cents a zookeeper would walk among the snakes for a kind of show. All except "Pete" were in the pit.

8. bowie

bowie Active Member

favorite Texas zoos in order

1. Dallas
    2. Tyler
    3. Fort Worth
    4. San Antonio
    5. Houston
    6. Brownsville
    7. Waco
    The rest that I have seen I would not put on my list.
    I was on the Board of Directors of the TEXAS ZOO in Victoria during the 70's when it was all Texas animals.

9. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

What about the Dallas World Aquarium?

10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You would really rate San Antonio above Houston and Waco??? That is a shocker.

11. bowie

bowie Active Member

I did put San Antonio ahead of Houston and Waco. I guess my reason is because of the collection and not the exhibits. I haven't been to the Houston zoo in a few years and need to go soon.

12. bowie

bowie Active Member

I would put the DWA in my now top 8 list. I knew when I made my list that I should have said that I have visited all on my list in the last year except for Brownsville and Houston. I should have made two lists. One lists for collection and one for exhibits. I am not any kind of expert. I just enjoy going to zoos.

13. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

I think you'll find that the majority of us on this website are like that, too. :D It's a pleasure to have you on board.