Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo New Website

Discussion in 'Australia' started by snowleopard, 27 Dec 2008.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Zoos South Australia

The "Zoos South Australia" website is looking much better after its revamp in the past few months. The Adelaide Zoo map now includes a large area set aside for the $20 million redevelopment of the entrance plaza and giant panda exhibit, and it will definitely be intriguing to see what happens at that zoo next year. The Envirodome opens in early 2009 and the giant panda pair arrive late in 2009, and hopefully the massive influx of cash and expansion will rejuvenate an underrated zoo.

Monarto Zoo, the open-range companion to Adelaide, now has the most detailed map they've ever produced on the same website. When I was there in June of 2007 there was only the single, hour-long bus ride through some of the largest habitats I've seen in my life. Now I've noticed that there are actually two tours, with one being 55 minutes and the other 25 minutes. Also, the brand new, $1.6 million chimpanzee exhibit is included on the map of the area and it is nice to see the attention to detail that has been included on the zoo's website.

2. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

i also think taronga zoo and wellington zoo have got good websites;updated recently

3. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

yeah I noticed that with Taronga's site, they have added extras animals bios and the layout is slightly different.

The new site looks better through colour, but the set out I don't really mind for the old or new..

4. Coquinguy

i think that the appointment of ZOOs SA's CEO Chris West should see this zoo move forward at an unprecendented rate.

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@glyn: Thanks for the news on both Taronga and Wellington's websites, and I was particularly impressed by the Sydney Zoo's new site. I've been anticipating major success in South Australia for some time now, and both Adelaide and Monarto are definitely on the rise in the zoo world.

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Don`t hold your breath cannot rember any impact he had at either Chester or London when he was in the U.K.

7. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

He left London frustrated by the entrenched bureaucracy and limitations of budget/heritage listing etc. He has done marvelous work in one short year in Adelaide/Monarto. Australia is lucky to have him. Look at the constant turmoil in Sydney and (especially) Melbourne, due to poor leadership.

8. Coquinguy

i think most of the issues with guy cooper have settled down after the first few years, though now and again workplace issues surface.
    melbourne on the other hand is particularly prone to this poor leadership....and as for adelaide and monarto i think their evolution from small zoos to major ones is imminent

9. pongogirl

pongogirl Member

Interesting, can you please define "constant turmoil in Sydney"?

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well they seem to be doing alot better job of dealing with the problems at London since hes left than when he was their!