Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo New Whipsnade Guide

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Mrhinuk, 8 May 2015.

1. Mrhinuk

Mrhinuk Active Member

The 2016 Whipsnade Zoo Guide is now available. Head of giraffe on front cover. Again, the guide is only available at the ticket office for those entering on foot, or the kiosk if entering by car. Not available in the shop. The guide, together with its London Zoo equivalent, appears not to be available via the ZSL online shop.

The guide has two pages dedicated to exhibits in the new Butterfly House (opening date set at May 23rd.) but Butterfly Hoouse not shown on the map inside front cover.

Enjoy!

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

How extortionately priced is it this time? :p

3. Mrhinuk

Mrhinuk Active Member

Whipsnade Guide Price

The price for the 2015 guide is £5. Not a bad price if you use the vouchers it contains during the course of your visit, i.e. 10% discount in shop and cafe. A total spend of £50 over the two venues pays for the guide. If, like me, you do not want to cut up the guide, then £5 is the penalty you have to bear!

4. TeaLovingDave

That's still cheaper than the last one I think - and quite a bit cheaper than the ZSL London one.

5. Regent

Regent Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe that the price for 2015 guide book to London Zoo is £6.00

6. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

5 and 6 Pounds is indeeed very expensive, but Uk-Guys should be happy that most of your big zoos and aquariums still publish one..In good old germany they become more rare and rare in the whole country, and I have no idea, why. Some zoos told me on request, NOBODY is interested in guidebooks anymore, because common visitors get their information from the zoo websides or by Apps for Smartphones and a free map is enough for them to get around the zoo.So why offer a product nobody wants ? Wuppertal still sells their 2006 Guidebook, altough two eelphant clafs are on the cover, and hundres of copies left...so they won't offer a new guidebook in the future.

So in the past years,some of our big zoos replaced the guidebook for the free map-also Berlin Zoo and Tierpark, and more will follow.

So the question is-how diffrent is the situation in the Uk ? I bet, also the Uk has access to the Internet and most people their own a Smartphone, I guess ? But you have so many guidebooks,some zoos and safariparks have each year a new edition, so they must sell them until the last copy is gone.

Anyway, why London Zoo isn't offering both guidebooks in the Onlienstore anymore ?

7. TeaLovingDave

That's cheaper than last year, too :p as the 2014 one was £7 when I visited in August 2014.

8. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They also have a Children's Guide for £6.

9. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member 10+ year member

London Zoo shop didn't tear out the voucher - I asked if they had scissors to cut it out and was told they just cross through the voucher.

10. Rosie183

Rosie183 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Got the guide yesterday and felt cheated as the map inside is the only Map we had all day of the park and it's not very clear. The description of the animals are just of the species and conservation nothing mentioned about the actual animals kept in whipsnade and yes the vouchers are a nice touch but won't be buying the guide anymore