Join our zoo community

New Wildlife Centre planned for near York

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Macaw16, 20 Nov 2015.

1. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member

This will be rather nice for me, as it will be within easy walking distance :p.

A new Wildlife attraction is planned to open soon at Askham Bryan Agricultural College near York, I heard this from somebody I know (and they're a trustable source), here is an old article from 2012 about this: Askham Bryan College plans new wildlife centre (From York Press) I can't find anything else about it.

I visited here earlier this year (see pictures in UK other gallery), and they have a few nice rodents and herps amongst other species.

I will try to keep this thread updated as I find out more.

2. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

It was in the news in the early part of last year, and I asked a lady in Askham Bryan's tent at the Driffield Show about it (I said "you're opening a zoo aren't you?", and she replied "ooh, a wildlife park."). I am pleased to hear it is set to open (and has thus got further than the bird park near York that was rumoured to be going to open to the public not that many years ago - it was, and maybe still is, an avicultural dealer).

3. Macaw16

4. Macaw16

Their 'Countryside Day' is going to be on the 12th of June; this allows you to look around the animal management area (amongst other things) which holds a number of animal species, including quite a diverse small mammal collection. I will likely be going. Here is the link;

http://www.askham-bryan.ac.uk/whats-on/event/2016/06/12/2190

5. Macaw16