Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo New Zealand's first fishing cats arrive!

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Nisha, 2 Aug 2009.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hamilton Zoo's website is reporting the arrival of 1:1 fishing cats. Just wondred if anyone knew where they have come from?

2. torie

torie Well-Known Member

3. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I wonder if they are brand new exhibits or altered existing ones..? I sense a trip over the bombays, I haven't been down for a while...

4. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A brand new set of exhibits has been built for them. This is taken from their website...

NZ'S FIRST FISHING CATS ARE HERE

Besar and Imphal are the first fishing cats to be imported into New Zealand, and we're happy to have them here at Hamilton Zoo. We have created a set of purpose-built exhibits for the pair, which include streams where we expect they will spend a lot of their time. It is hoped that they will go on and play a part in the regional breeding programme. Fishing Cats are eager and skilled swimmers and are quite stocky and strong compared to most small cats.

5. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

Cool thanks, well a trip is imminent... Would rather wait till they re-open the Auckland - Hamilton rail service but then I could be waiting a while...

6. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Besar was born at Singapore in 2002 and Imphal was born at Melbourne in1998

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

it's a shame this pair of cats hasn't bred here. From the dates jay gives above they are now 10 and 14 years old respectively, so they can both be considered old. I do wonder why they didn't import younger individuals to start with. Artificial insemination was attempted last year but it was unsuccessful. I couldn't find any articles on it at the time but I just came across this one (before the AI was actually attempted).

GlenBred works with Hamilton Zoo and their Thai Fishing Cats - Matamata Veterinary Services

8. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Interesting.