Join our zoo community

New Zoo Books

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by snowleopard, 7 Nov 2016.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Maybe he meant the tiny person wearing shorts and a blue top, on the other side of the flamingo exhibit :p

2. 14027

14027 Active Member

Some ZooChatter is certainly taking notes... I recently walked around a zoo taking notes and stuck out like a sore thumb.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I think the adult is bongorob, even if he is wearing trousers. He has his jacket on. He's definitely a Zoochatter though - as Tresio says, he's taking notes. And the kid is looking at him weird.

The one at the front, striding purposefully along with his camera, is also a Zoochatter I suspect.

4. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The publishing company that produced the Cologne one has done a whole series. They are brilliant. My son has those for Augsburg, Alpenzoo and Munich (all ones he has visited). There is one for Schönbrunn too and perhaps others

https://www.amazon.de/Mein-Augsburger-Zoo-Bachems-Wimmelbilder/dp/3761625626
    https://www.amazon.de/Mein-Alpenzoo-Wimmelbilder-Friedemann-Meyer/dp/3761626142
    https://www.amazon.de/Mein-Tierpark-Hellabrunn-Wimmelbildern-Münchener/dp/3761624468

14027 likes this.
  5. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Awesome, thanks for the links. I've got the Cologne one and love it but had no idea there were others (or purchasable via the net). That's this year's Christmas present(s) to myself sorted.:):)

6. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They obviously remember that me from 1972 and 1973, when my beard was that colour :D
    But they probably used a black and white photo, because I have never worn a shirt as green as that one (I knew I could never aspire to look as cool as Miles Davis on the cover of 'Milestones').

7. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Santa could be in for an expensive year: they're also available for Hannover, Berlin, Stuttgart, Zurich, Bochum (!), Hagenbeck, Leipzig, Nordhorn (!) ...

8. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wow (a whole new whole world of collectibles) -I'm not sure I've been that good a boy. Think I'm going to have to pick and choose (for now).

9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

10. snowleopard

11. snowleopard

12. snowleopard

Doc: Zoo Memories and Animal Stories (2018) is a brand-new book that was just published this month. It was written by Lee G. Simmons, who was Director of Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium for 40 years. The book is approximately 350 pages and then has an additional 20 pages in the Appendix. It is a hardcover and quite heavy for its size and I purchased it inside the zoo's gift shop during my visit last week. A fitting end to a 16-day, 50-zoo trek!

Here is a photo of the book:

New Omaha Zoo Book | ZooChat

13. snowleopard

Zoo Nebraska: The Dismantling of an American Dream (by Carson Vaughn) will not be published until April 2019, but it certainly sounds interesting. There was once a zoo in the incredibly tiny town of Royal, Nebraska (pop. 81), and what began as the Midwest Primate Center became Zoo Nebraska and the facility remained open for almost 20 years. After a tragic day in 2005 when three Chimpanzees were shot and killed after escaping from their exhibit, the 7-acre zoo was forced to close by the USDA. I know almost nothing about the defunct zoo but I will certainly order a copy of the book.

The Amazon.ca link:

https://www.amazon.ca/Zoo-Nebraska-...F8&qid=1537140778&sr=1-8&keywords=zoo+history

Arizona Docent likes this.
  14. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

15. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

16. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Christian Matschei
    Seltene Tiere im Zoo: Säugetiere
    (Rare Animals in the Zoo - Mammals)

https://www.amazon.de/Seltene-Tiere...SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Christian+Matschei

I couldn't find any discussion, about this book and it seems very intriguing. I do not understand german, but if someone has the book, my be can share opinion or even list of the mammals in question.

The Book : Böcke, Takine, Moschusochsen is from the same author. Let's hope they will have English version soon

17. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That book is neither here nor there, at least from a zoo nerds perspective, but then zoo nerds are not the target audience. It is a collection of rare to not so rare animals (from Gerenuk to Striped hyena) and its main goal is to get the slightly interested zoo visitor to look at some of the not so obvious animals also kept in zoos.

Joker1706 and twilighter like this.
  18. snowleopard

SpinyLiving and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  19. snowleopard

KevinB and Giant Panda like this.
  20. snowleopard

America's Top 100 Zoos & Aquariums: A guide to America's most important zoological establishments will be published in August. Written by Tim Brown & Scott Richardson (that's me!!), it is a book that features exactly 80 zoos and 20 aquariums in the USA. More information to follow in the future, but for now here is the official cover page:

New Zoo Book | ZooChat