Join our zoo community

New Zoo Books

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by snowleopard, 7 Nov 2016.

1. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

new book by R. Michael Burger. 2018. The Dragon Traders:A collective history of the reptile trade in America and the age of herpetoculture. Parador Press, Texas. paperback 473 pages. I bought my copy from Eagle Mountain Publ.Utah .

snowleopard and TinoPup like this.
  2. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

snowleopard likes this.
  3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed. This! Book! Is! So! Good!

Expensive? Yes, but worth every penny/euro-cent/etc. I can't see any zoo-nerd being disappointed with this book despite the significant outlay.

Treat yourself, you'll love it. If you have to save, save (you'll be glad you did).

Final point, if you receive it slightly damaged (which sadly's a distinct possibility given the cover styling) contact the seller -I was offered and accepted a 25% refund on the cover price (some might prefer a pristine book but my attitude is that it wouldn't remain that way for ever and the slightly damaged cover didn't affect the contents -and I didn't feel quite as conflicted regarding it's cost:)).

snowleopard likes this.
  4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Dammit...I might just have to spend the $128.65 Canadian for this book. The cost is eye-watering, but I see that there are 576 pages and the link below contains 16 superb images that are tempting me to make the purchase. I buy a ton of zoo-related books, but I've been hesitant with this one due to the exorbitant price. I might have to take the plunge!

https://www.amazon.ca/Zoo-Buildings...ds=zoo+building&qid=1560612573&s=books&sr=1-1

5. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Take the plunge. Given you buy a ton of zoo books anyway just think of it as the next three books you'll buy (but in one go) :). To be honest I've spent a third of it's price (still not cheap) on other books and not really rated them much so you can also think of it as, a guaranteed, three really good lesser priced books in one volume :D.

I'm not on commission or anything, truth.

6. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is well worth the steep cost. Utterly amazing amount of detail; only wish it included more examples from North America. A zoo design nerd’s dream book.

TinoPup and snowleopard like this.
  7. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Probably because it originally was published in german (the author and the series are german).

8. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, but the book includes many non-German references and projects, and a small number of US examples. While it explicitly focuses on zoo buildings (not exhibits per se), there are numerous iconic North American facilities that would have fit nicely into the narrative (World of Birds and Jungleworld in the Bronx for example).
    Nevertheless, it’s a wealth of detailed and unique material.

9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I just received this book a few days ago and it is visually stunning, though I had expected slightly more textually after the good reviews here. A big downside to me is the high amount of factual errors in the book, from typos, to wrong captions and historical errors. It is also a pity that the translation from German to English is not always smooth... It is still a great book though, especially for someone like me who has seen the vast majority of the examples used in the book in person.

snowleopard and Arizona Docent like this.
  10. snowleopard

11. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

13. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Looks like a rich and interesting book. I would be interested to know how it came to the cover picture. The photo of the Bateleur eagle is undoubtedly great, but in my opinion it does not do justice to the title - a zoo guide through the zoos of the USA. That's why I would like to know if this photo was the idea of the authors, or rather of the publisher.

14. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You can ask author right now... @snowleopard

15. Dianamonkey

Dianamonkey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The english translation of this book is available for preorder on Amazon for release on the 14th November.

J.W. Mohnhaupt and 1 more
    The Zookeepers' War: An Incredible True Story from the Cold War

twilighter likes this.
  16. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A translation of the highly entertaining Der Zoo der anderen. Really a must read for people who like the Berlin Zoos.

NigeW and TeaLovingDave like this.
  17. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

'The Zookeepers' War' is now released, and my copy arrived this morning. Having just finished 'Through the Lion Gate' this week the timing of this couldn't be better. I'm looking forward to reading what, if ever you can judge a book by the cover, looks a quality work.

18. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Concerning the book" America`s Top 100 Zoos & Aquariums" the book is an IZES publication....this took us away from the demands of publishers. We are financing it ourselves and if it goes into profit will give the surplus away to conservational projects...no publisher would want to do that! Regarding the cover,we kicked a few things around and we thought this one from Arizona docent was great,it may be unrepresentative of the U.S. as such,but we wanted to get away from stars and stripes -styled iconography. It is limited to a thousand copies anyway, so the merest glance of the average Barnes and Noble customer is not really an issue.

19. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

AmbikaFan and snowleopard like this.
  20. snowleopard

Elephant Speak: A Devoted Keeper's Life Among the Herd (Melissa Crandall - 2020) is due to be published next week and it chronicles a career of more than 30 years of Roger Henneous. It appears that he was at Oregon Zoo from 1968 to 1998 and the book details his relationship with the prospering elephant herd in Portland. I already know that @Tim Brown and I will likely be ordering this latest zoo book, but is anyone else interested? Check it out below:

https://www.amazon.ca/Elephant-Spea...=elephant+speak&qid=1582729796&s=books&sr=1-1

Here is an article about the upcoming book:

‘Elephant Speak’ tells the tale of longtime Oregon Zoo keeper and Portland’s herd