Join our zoo community

Wild Life Sydney New zoo for downtown Sydney

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Nigel, 9 Sep 2004.

1. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Inner Sydney to get new zoo Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

from Zoo News 307 by Monika Fiby Thursday, 2004-09-02

The New South Wales Government has given planning permission for a small zoo to be built next to the Sydney Aquarium at Darling Harbour.

The building - to be known as Australia's Animal World - will house exhibits of native animals, including snakes, spiders, koalas and wombats. Its construction will involve the demolition of parts of the existing buildings owned by Sydney Aquarium. The application for the facility was submitted in 2002. Concerns were raised by conservationists about the welfare of wildlife in the inner city location. The project will cost $30 million and is expected to create 40 new full-time jobs.

Do you know of this one , Sim ? How much living space do wombats need when they are in the wild ? I know of the area where the zoo will be in -- it is not exactly what I would call large . I wonder what other native animals they intend to exhibit ?
    As Taronga Park is quite close to the city ( about 10 minute ferry ride) I dont think they can state location as being a good enough reason to have a "zoo" in a small area with limited ( if any ) room to expand for future development -- especially if there are going to be mammals/marsupials etc

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

I hadn't heard about this until you posted it last month, but I did read something in the paper the following week.

I know the area they are planning to use - and while I understand the attraction in setting up a facility there, I agree with you that this is not what I would consider an ideal setup for the animals.

I guess it would be better if it were run in tandem with Taronga Zoo and animals were rotated in and out of the new facility so they had a chance to live in more spacious accomodation most of the time.

3. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

stupid place for a zoo

Is there any update on this one ? Would this be big enough to house all the animals that they were planning to do so ?