Join our zoo community

New zoo in Ethiopia?

Discussion in 'Ethiopia' started by TheEthiopianWolf03, 3 Jul 2018.

1. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

This is from a speech that was recently done by the new prime minister of Ethiopia. I’m unsure if he means something else but as the speech is only in Amharic, that’s what I took from it. There is about 40 hectares in the old palace that once housed the great emperors of the nation. According to the prime minister, they want to use the land for a tourist attraction such as a zoo, amusement park, aquarium, or a museum. The palace itself looks like it will become a museum but there is still a bunch of land that can be used for another attraction as the prime minster says. This could be the way Ethiopian wildlife starts getting into captivity to foreign hands via a zoo already in place in the nation! This is not even in the planning stages but what do you guys think? Is a zoo in Ethiopia a good idea? The new prime minister is trying to make many changes in the nation but if they do stick with this zoo idea, I’ll back them up as long as the exhibits are as good as Pretoria (Which for zoo standards in Africa, very good).

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sounds great.

Ethiopia's wildlife needs to be experimented with. One of the reasons we did so badly with saving the Vaquita was that we waited too long for captive breeding. If we get species like Ethiopian Wolves and Mountain Nyalas into captivity and figure out how to breed them, that might be the best news I have heard in a while.

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The last thing Ethiopia's wildlife needs is experimenting.... Ethiopia needs strong laws to protect national parks and people that care for nature. A zoo could help with the latter.

4. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Maybe if professional vets and zoological scientists were helping but as of now Ethiopia doesn’t really have many people working in that field. Of course when I get older and finish my education this is something I’ll definitely work on. Hopefully our sister city of Leipzig helps us out. There is also the possibility that they don’t build a zoo and build something else but since wildlife is a major attraction in Ethiopia, they might lean to that.