Join our zoo community

New Zoo in North Alabama

Discussion in 'United States' started by SharkFinatic, 21 Jan 2020.

1. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wild wolverine and Coelacanth18 like this.
  2. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The organizers have created a FAQ page to answer some questions. It really doesn't say much, however. Here it is:

https://www.nalzs.org/faq

3. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Ooh. Raccoons. yay.

NSU42 likes this.
  4. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

500 acres have now been set aside for this new zoo by the North Alabama Zoological Society. A map has now been released with the following future sections (can be seen in the articles below). Phase one is expected to open in 2024 apparently. The different areas that are planned:
    • Australia
    • Cosmic Jungle (?)
    • Alabama Natives
    • Africa
    • Africa Savanna Adventure
    • Africa Forest Adventure
    • Asia
    • Yellowstone National Park
    Two recent articles on this development: Coming Soon: A new zoo in North Alabama, North Alabama Zoological Society releases rendering of zoo, secures property

TinoPup likes this.
  5. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’ll believe it when I see it. Given the area it will be located in and the lack of credentials I am seeing much of this seems like a pipe dream. Maybe they can build the initial section but then again that’s not too challenging as its largely just some exhibits for native species. The future phases of the plan make look like something out of the Sedgwick County Zoo’s master plan, except with the resources and foundation that zoo has.

On the zoos website is there financial disclosures. Apparently in 2020 they only had $13,000 in assets :rolleyes:

6. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cosmic Jungle is apparently going to be animal exhibits highlighting animal species that were involved with the Space Program. So probably a Chimpanzee exhibit. From the plans the phase one "anchor species" appear to be the Chimpanzees, Black Bears, and Cougars.

As a resident of North Alabama people here that know about it are either excited or think it's a sophisticated ponzi scheme. Some parts of it seem legit and some shady. They do have a former VP at Google and some executives from Dynetics, Raytheon etc on board.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Additional article about the proposed zoo/aquarium (although, not really an aquarium - just a few aquatic exhibits). According to the article, the zoo's construction will cost an "elephant sized $33 million" which is probably a lot for Alabama, but it's the cost of one exhibit at some of the major zoos across the country.

Also, the Director of the zoological society has pointed out a glaring problem - one that he thinks is an asset: 'Woodruff pointed out that when completed, the new zoo would be part of a “zoo trail” along the I-65 corridor, spanning from Nashville to Gulf Shores. There promises to be a zoo destination almost every two hours – or less – along I-65."

The "build it and they will come" mentality has been proven to be false - especially with zoos and aquariums where the financial margin for error is incredibly thin. There are some major zoos in the area which will prove to offer much much more than whatever "Cosmic Exhibit" will provide - according to the article, "cats, rabbits, and spider monkeys." Obviously huge animal attractions

Not gonna hold my breath for this place at all.

You are being redirected...

TinoPup and csartie like this.
  8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

This is one of those things you occasionally come across in another country that catch the eye and momentarily boggle you..!

A two hour drive between 'adjacent' zoos seems if anything zoologically sparse by the standards of much of Europe - most particularly in places where zoos are public funded like Germany but also in the UK where zoos are mostly self-funding charities or commercial entities. Twycross for example is within two hours or thereabouts of Chester, Whipsnade, Woburn, Hamerton, Yorkshire, Dudley, West Midland, Cotswold - even Bristol's only just past the 2hr barrier - and literally dozens of smaller places.

9. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the US, that's pretty dense zoo coverage. Americans are a lot more willing to drive further than Europeans, which I think is one of the reasons for this difference - 2-3 hours are common day trip lengths in the US.

10. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Agreed. My two closest zoos are around two hours away, but it's common for people around here to drive that distance to Des Moines or Omaha regularly, so it doesn't really matter to people.

birdsandbats likes this.
  11. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I figured that was the case, but still... boggling! :D

And of course I also commonly go for 2-3 hour drives for day trips - I think people with a particular hobby to follow quite happily do it (whether it's zoos or birds or following a football team or potholing) but I think the part of the market just looking for a general day out usually wouldn't want to go that far (one exception in my home town is to go 'to the seaside' - we're about as far from the sea as you can be in Britain, but that's still only a 2hr drive from the coast).

birdsandbats likes this.
  12. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

"Imagine a world-class, state-of-the-art zoo and aquarium, complete with adventure treks, ziplining, coupled with a host of enticing retail, dining, and entertainment options, all rolled into one breathtaking facility. All of this is just a hop, skip, and a jump away, thus eliminating the need for a day trip to Birmingham or Nashville."

"For almost 45 years, there has not been a nonprofit zoo, nor a zoological park built from the ground up in the United States. Although there have been other groups with similar visions over the years, plans for a zoo or an aquarium have yet to materialize in North Alabama."

"The dream is destined to become a reality in the not-so-distant future. In a recent press conference, the North Alabama Zoological Society, a Huntsville-based nonprofit, announced its plans for a zoological park in Limestone County."

“We’ve been working on this for two years and two days; we just had our anniversary August 8th,” said Woodruff. “It has been almost 45 years since a zoo has been built from scratch, so it’s a pretty exciting thing for our area.”

Read the article here: You are being redirected...

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Every two hours isn't that close for the east coast, especially if you're including non-AZA. I can't remember the last time I did just one zoo in a day that wasn't an all-day sized zoo or an event, and I rarely push more than 90 minutes between places. Even the mention of a "day trip from Birmingham to Nashville" is odd, it's only 3 hours between the two. From Huntsville, AL to some major zoos it's
    -2 hours to Nashville
    -2 hours to Birmingham
    -3 hours to Knoxville
    -3 hours to Atlanta

I was actually planning a trip that involved Atlanta, Chattanooga, Birmingham, and Montgomery, with multiple zoos most days. There's even a zoo in Huntsville, albeit a small one (Harmony Park Safari).

Also,
    "For almost 45 years, there has not been a nonprofit zoo, nor a zoological park built from the ground up in the United States. Although there have been other groups with similar visions over the years, plans for a zoo or an aquarium have yet to materialize in North Alabama."

is a massive piece of BS. 45 years ago is 1976. Tons of zoos, including non-profit AZA accredited ones, have opened in that time.

NSU42 likes this.
  14. tschandler71

Harmony Park is legitimately awful.

15. tschandler71

They have a video highlighting their plans now.

No plans for Elephants it seems the megafauna are a Big Cat, Bear, and Rhino Species for each major habitat area.

16. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They plan on getting African Wild Dogs and Okapi as well, apparently?

17. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Not to mention dolphins and manatees, which seems quite ambitious.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  18. ParathePineapple

ParathePineapple Well-Known Member

Yeah I have doubts on whether they could even possibly have this many hard to obtain and rare animals, I agree this is quite ambitious for a place that
    has not even opened yet.

19. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Many of these species would basically require AZA-accreditation or association, right?

ParathePineapple likes this.
  20. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not those two, but okapi would, african wild dog likely would. AZA requires a place be open for at least a full year before applying.