Join our zoo community

Zoom Torino Zoom Torino news

Discussion in 'Italy' started by KEEPER, 5 Jul 2011.

1. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi, I open this thread fot to learn more ;) anybody can provide me some information about the news appears in a Spaniard newspaper,where the CEO of Rainforest diseño (enterprise responsible for the build of Bioparcs and Terra Natura parks in Spain) talks about the new project for to built a new zoo in Torino?

Anybody knows some about this project?

Thank you in advance . Grazie mille.

2. Sharak_Jek

Sharak_Jek Well-Known Member

Well,a part of the zoo is already built,and it's open. It isn't in Torino but in Cumaina(near Torino). The place is called ZOOM Torino. The construction of the zoo began in 2004 and it will be finished in 2020.
    Actually the zoo is divided in eight "habitats":
    Tigri del Maraja:it houses a fifteen years old tiger called Silvestro.(opened 2008)
    I rapaci di Petra:it's and arena where there are raptors shows(opened 2008)
    La vecchia fattoria:it houses goats,pigs,sheeps,llamas,donkeys and poneys(opened 2008)
    La baia dei pinguini:it houses a goup of africans penguins(opened 2009)
    La steppa asiatica:it houses yacks and camels(opened 2010)
    I suricati del Kalahari:it houses a group of meerkats(opened 2010)
    La fattoria del baobab:it houses dromedaries,watussi cattles, and african wild asses (opened 2010)
    La giungla asiatica:it houses siamangs,axis deers, black bucks, muntjacks,crested porcuspines,demoiselle cranes,sarus cranes and mandarine ducks (opened 2011)

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

African wild ass? Explain source ans species. :confused:

4. Sharak_Jek

Sharak_Jek Well-Known Member

It's Equus africanus, they have three male which came last month from a German zoo.

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The 3 male Somali wild ass came from Hanover and Chemnitz in Germany.

Zoom Torino - News

6. Kifaru Bwana

I read from their website that in 2013 a new habitat is to open called Serengeti. This new habitat will contain giraffe, rhinos, zebra and other wildlife of the African savannah.

Anyone has more news on this new development?

7. Piko

Piko Well-Known Member 10+ year member

it will contain:
    Rothschild's Giraffe
    White Rhinoceros
    Grant's Zebra
    Blue Wildebeest
    Bontebok
    Waterbuck
    Lechwe
    Common Eland
    Impala
    Thomson's Gazelle
    Dama Gazelle
    Ostrich
    Grey Crowned Crane
    Marabou Stork

8. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

It is strange that a country with such a proud tradition of municipal independence as Italy doesn't seem to have zoos to reflect this. On the German or Dutch models one should expect to see first-rate collections in Rome, Milan, Turin,and Naples, and very good ones in Florence, Verona, Bologna and Udine.

Does anyone who has an understanding of Italy have any comments as to why this is? I don't really buy the idea of a general lack of interest in Latin countries; there are dozens of fine zoos in France, and some very good collections in Spain.

9. Piko

turin has a new zoo, the most modern in italy, the architect is the same of the bioparc valencia

10. Piko

the best zoos are in the north, in the south only Fasanolandia, for the south italian mentality

11. filipinos

filipinos Well-Known Member

What if i tell you that there are good zoos in Italy? There´s just not many people interested and not many info online. Southern European Countries can have very good zoos and still be considered as non-zoo destination.
    There´s 4 or 5 spanish members, 3 or 4 from France, 2 or 3 from Italy, 2 from Portugal and 2 from Greece. But there are like 100 from the UK.
    Many of these UK members haven´t left their country, and if they did, they visited a warm destination, like southern Spain or Portugal, where most of the zoos are built with only a commercial objective.
    If you can ask members that have visited Zoos like Lisbon, Valencia, Barcelona, Beauval, Natura Viva, Rome and even Parc des Felins, they would say that these are fine places to visit and equally or better than zoos from the United Kingdom.

12. Piko

i can speak of italy
    in italy there isn't the habit of going to the zoo in the sun day, but i don't know the motives, maybe because italy don't have a big number of zoo
    i visited zoom torino, le cornelle, parco natura viva, bioparco di roma, parco zoo punta verde, acquario di genova, and other little zoo, but only in italy

13. Piko

on zoom torino there is an area under costruction near the "Serengeti" area, called "Under Water"... the keepers don't would say what they are building, but i think that this area will be like de "Cueva de Kitum" at Bioparc Valencia
    [​IMG]

14. Piko

hi, i open this thread for the news about the italian zoo for this year (sorry for english)

Zoom Torino:
    - the park open the new area called Serengeti that host White Rhino (1 male, there isn't yet), Grant's Zebra (1 male and 2 females from ZOOM Erlebniswelt Gelsenkirchen), Rothschild's Giraffe ( father and son from Belgium), Kordofan Giraffe (2 males, 1 from Praha and 1 from Beauvaul), Common Eland (1 male and 2 females), Blesbok (for this moment 1, off show), Blue Wildebeest (there aren't yet), Waterbuck (1 male and 3 females, for this moment off show), Lechwe (there aren't yet), Impala (2 males and 4 females), Mhorr Gazelle (4 males from Munich), Thomson's Gazelle (there aren't yet), Ostrich (1 male and 2 females), Marabou Stork (3) and Grey Crowned Crane (there aren't yet)
    - Two new raptor for the Anfiteatro di Petra: a Brown Wood Owl and a Great Grey Owl
    - arrive a Mongoose Lemur and a (i don't know if one or two) Red-Bellied Lemur
    - Two Ring-Tailed Lemur are born
    - A Jackass Penguin is born
    - The White-Naped Crane lay two eggs
    - the 18 years old Tiger (Bengal/Siberian hybrid) death for old ages, the park doing a required for another two tiger at the EAZA
    - The Underwater area is Under Construction and it will open the next year (Hippopotamus and the other animals are unknown)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2019
  15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Piko your english is OK ( I guess most of the Zoochaters do understand it ! ) and thank you to inform us what is happening in Italia because few news is coming from there !

16. Piko

how many italian are there in this forum?

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not very many...belated welcome and thanks for updating the news in Italian Zoos. Your English is fine!:)

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kordofan giraffe: perhaps the one from Beauval, allthough I only have Rothschildt's (and expect it is Rothschildt's) and reticulateds listed for that institution. The Praha male is a true Rothschildt's.

Thanks for keeping us updated though.

19. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I heard that Zoom Torino it's designed, built and managed for a Spanish Company (Rainforest Design) builders and owners of the two spanish Bioparc, any news for to confirm that? Many thanks.

20. Piko

- for KEEPER: yes the Rainforest Design had designed Zoom Torino, i put some photo in the Italian gallery (other zoo)