Join our zoo community

New Zooguidebooks

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Zebraduiker, 19 Jul 2008.

Tags:
  1. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

I've thought,I've got the Penguin Edition in 2011, because the park has send it to me, as they do it as every year,-so it is noticed in my list for 2011. I'm sure,I've got the merkat edition in 2012 and not the penguin edition. But I'm still in contact with the park becuase of the 2015 edition,so I will ask.

At last, after nine years break a new guidbeook for Rostock Zoo with a polar bear cub on the cover is available.164 pages, high format, and a sales price for only 9,95 Euro!No Wonder, german zoo visistors do not buy them...I don't have it yet, but if if is as good as the Darwineum-Guide, it should be worth the price. The guidebook has a title now, in english:"Zoo to Go".

Last edited: 17 Jul 2015
  2. Bib Fortuna

So Whipsnade and London don't have other species in their collections than tigers and giraffes ?

By the Way-the Tiger is the Number One Species on Guidebook Covers. From 2400 Guidebooks I have in my collection (counted in only Zoos and Safaripark, published between 1945 and 2015) with a single aninmal on the cover,295 have a tiger on the cover! London,Banham and Marwell 2015 not included.

I've made a statistic on that to find out what animals are most used as cover-animal,maybe I will publish it somedays.

By the way Banham-I'm surprsied they have again a Guidebook. A friend of me was told of a Staff member,Banham wanted to stop producing guidebooks, because they are not a big seller there,but it is the same Antwerp did-they also have again a guidebook-Fortunately.:)

I hope, somebody here will have spare copies of the YWP 2015 Guide, London and Whipsnade at the Trade Fair in Stuttgart in two month-it is very hard and expensive to get them from the zoos directly.

3. Bib Fortuna

Is this guide avaiable at the zoo ,too,or only from the newspaper?

4. Bib Fortuna

New Guidebook, 2015 edition, for West Midlands Safaripark is now available, african elepant calf on the cover.

By the way, any new Guidebooks for Deep Seworld, The Deep or the Blu Planet Aquarium available ?

5. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I visited in May they were selling the 2012 ones at a reduced price, suggesting they are getting/ got a new one.

6. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sooty Mangabey:
    These are two quite different guides. And only this one with the leopard on the cover is on sale in the zoo.
    Bib Fortuna:
    This guide was sold together with the weekend edition of the newspaper in May or in June. Zoo got some copies, but they are not for sale.

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Woburn have produced another 2015 guidebook (2nd this year). The new one has a Giraffe (side image of head and neck) on the cover

8. Nisha

Drusillas have now got a 2015 guidebook out - similar style to the previous few with a number of animals on a blue background. Main difference with this one is that the "fun finding out guide book" has been renamed "the a-z guide book and map"

A 2011 guide for there has also been added to the Bartlett list this week after appearing on ebay

9. Nisha

Port Lympne and Howletts have each got a new guide.
    Covers: Port Lympne's has two Red Panda in a tree and the Howletts one is a Chinese Leopard

Chester Cathedral Falconry has also produced a guide of sorts. I will have several copies available for swap/sale at the Izes collectors fair next month if anyone is interested

10. Macaw16

I thought I would mention that the Washington Wetland Centre (WWT) still has the 2006 guide (of sorts, more of a pamphlet) available; I can't be certain it is the same, but it has an image of a Grey Heron (head and shoulders shown) on the front, and it neglects to mention the otters, which are a star species!

11. zooman1

zooman1 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone know if there has been any new guide books out for 2016 yet

12. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The 2016 Marwell guide is already on sale; Grevy zebras cover. It is worth mentioning that, when so many places have ceased regular guidebook production, Marwell has published a new edition of their current format guide every year since 2010.

13. zooman1

zooman1 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the info zooboy I shall be going to Marwell end of Feb start of March and will be looking out for this. Hopefully it won't just be a cover change but even if it was would still get it. It's such a shame that so many zoos don't publish guidebooks anymore

14. Bib Fortuna

I agree with that-but in compare to germany, you in Britan live in a Zoo Guidebook HEAVEN ;) In geramyn, tehy are almost EXTINCT. let me guess what large german zoos does currently have a gudiebook:

Tierpark Berlin, 2013 Edition-will be defenitely the last one under Knierim
    Leipzig Zoo 2015 Edition
    Krefeld 2012 Edition
    Wuppertal 2006 ! Edition-still on sale.
    Walsrode Birdpark 2015 Edtion
    Opel-Zoo Kronberg 2013
    Wilhelma Stuttgart 2013
    Augsburg 2013
    Gelsenkirchen 2014
    Münster 2013
    Rostock 2015
    Halle 2008
    Saarbrücken 2014.
    No Zoo, but also Safaripark Hodenhagen offers a Guidebook.

Thats it-a couple of smaller zoos do have also a guidebook, but just a few-less than a human hand has fingers:)

Alle the other large german Zoos Hamburg,Dresden,Dortmund,Magdeburg,Erfurt,Berlin,Munich,Cologne,Frankfurt,Nürnberg,Duisburg stopped producing guidebooks.
    Some of them announced a new edition for this year, but to announce and to do it are two diffrent pairs of shoes;)

Anyway-nice to hear Marwell made a Grevy-Zebra to a Coverstar! I like Zebracovers-much more than tigers!

15. Nisha

Woburn - 2016 guide now on sale. Tiger and cubs cover

16. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

Woburn is very good. They seem to produce a new edition of their guide book every year without fail. Other animal collections would do well to emulate them, especially the growing number of major British zoos that have shamefully, for whatever spurious reason they care to spout, suspended publication of a guide book.

17. Nisha

They (or at least used to) provide a copy as part of the standard entrance fee which is very generous of them

18. Macaw16

The Deep now gives out an A5 colour guide free with your entry, replacing their old guidebooks. They have a similar, but more scaled down content and graphics to the old ones. They seem to be doing them seasonally, with the one I got on 26/3/2016 being Spring/ Summer 2016. Sadly it features an advert at the back of the guide, but overall seems to be a good guide from a flick through. Zebar Sharks and reef fish are on the cover.

19. Nisha

Have you got a photo of the cover please?

20. Macaw16

Not at the moment, I will try to get one later.